Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2011, 02:46 AM   #11 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibruno View Post
so i just want some opinions and facts on the matter of which is better for breeding purposes, crown tail or half moons, is there a big difference?
CT's are every betta that has web reduction on their fins regardless of their form (long/short finned, number of rays, 180* spread or less, etc).
While HM's are long finned bettas that MUST have a 180* tail spread, otherwise they go into the delta group.

IMO both fin types breed equally easy/difficult BUT making their fins spread 180* (both types) is not that easy. You must select your breeders. So it comes down to your goal - do you just want any long finned betta either with or without web reduction or do you want to maintain a 180* fin spread.

In general CT need more care than HM. They at least need IAL to maintain their fin form - keep their rays nice and straight (actually it's not really the IAL but the water pram that the IAL causes)..... I can't explain in detail because I've never really worked with them nor have I read much about them. All I know is that my water can't keep their fins nice, tidy and straight.
HM's are more tolerant towards different water parameters.

I agree with curly that PK's are in general the easiest to keep, breed, raise, and maintain/care.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:20 AM   #12 
Bambi

Not all melano females are infertile, andthere are actually superblack females out there who breed just fine if you want a black girlie. xD

As you said you want to used CT's and yu like blue and black the a pair of Royal blue CT's would be reltively easy to fine. They have a nice blue body with a black head.

--
For the a thing to keep in mind with CT's is their fins can curl in hard water that would be fine for any VT or PK.
With HM's they take more work in that there are both genetic and environmental influences. you might need to jar them sooner to keep their fins from being nipped, keep their water clean so they can grow, and then flare them every so often so they stretch their fins out.

The reason injo mention IAL is it softens the water a bit. ^^ But it depends on the water where are you are and such.

Also have to agree that PK's are the easiest to keep form wise. They can't really tailbite, they don't have issues with long fins dragging them down with filters, their fins don't curl in regular water...I can't comment on them being better fathers as that's different with each fish and the only time I tried to spawn one he ate most of the eggs.....><
And, Short fin is recessive to long fins on if you breed a HMPK to a HM you'll get long finned babies in the first generation(unless the HM is from a half and half spawn and carried PK...but lets not complicate things xD).

CT's by show standards have to have a certain amount of web reduction,but combtails are basicly anything with any web reduction, be the HM comb(half suns) or deltas or VTs or PKs.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:20 AM   #13 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Not all melano females are infertile, andthere are actually superblack females out there who breed just fine if you want a black girlie. xD

This may be true but finding the fertile melano female is close to impossible. Super black (SB) are available but still a bit rare.... at least in my area.

IMO working with black laces would be easier. Or crossing a male melano with a royal blue female should produce fine melano's and blues.

--
For the a thing to keep in mind with CT's is their fins can curl in hard water that would be fine for any VT or PK.
With HM's they take more work in that there are both genetic and environmental influences. you might need to jar them sooner to keep their fins from being nipped, keep their water clean so they can grow, and then flare them every so often so they stretch their fins out.

This applies, IMO, to both - IF you are aiming for show quality (SQ), you have to take precautions to keep their fins in tact and to develop their fins. Both needs to be jarred early and flared regularly.

The reason injo mention IAL is it softens the water a bit. ^^ But it depends on the water where are you are and such.

Agree
Addition: though rather rare, PK's do tail bite. Mine wanted to be a DT .... LOL
Old 12-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #14 
Bambi

Melano is actually steel blue based I think, despite the black head on the royal blues.
Black laces are lovely. They were originally going to be the color I chose to work with(well, blacklace and blue lace).
Side note..I've seen some lovely Melano male + blacklace female spawns with blue's and greens and blacks showing up in the fry.

I've never had a tail biter,no matter the tail type, i just find the image of a Pk chasing tail trying to bite it amusing. xD
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #15 
jibruno

my issue is i like looks, i think PKs are pretty boring in that category while CTs, HMs and SDs all look "cooler" in my opinion. my current CT has a problem keeping his fins up so im considering HMs. but i also still think that, if done right, CTs look better.. im so indecisive
jibruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #16 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IMO they all look attractive in their own way. It's up to you. I'm just trying to give you an idea of what you're getting yourself into.

You haven't stated your goals ... so I'm assuming it's to some day come up with SQ. Read the last page of "About Bettas" in bettysplendens.com: "Development of the New Betta4all Standard"
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=4074

That's what you're aiming for if you want SQ.

Her's my little guy who decided to be a DT
Name:  Copy 01.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  10.5 KB
Old 12-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #17 
DraconisMidnight32

I have a crown tail with black body blue fins that fade lighter as it goes down and red bits at the end of his fins, the pet store owner said that it was a very rare colour to find with that combo, but it is possible
DraconisMidnight32 is offline   Reply With Quote