Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #21 
purplemuffin

No, you aren't getting the best deals out there at all. I have a 50 gallon tank I got for 40 dollars off of craigslist, and at our petsmart that size tank is between 150 and 50 dollars depending on if there is a sale or not.

Bettas need a minimum of 2.5 gallons generally, 5 or 10 gallons being optimal. A single male can live in a 2.5 gallon or a 5 gallon alone, or can live in a 10 gallon with other peaceful fish.

Females can live in sororities--In fact, that 60 gallon could have LOTS of ladies in it.

At my petstore I see bettas for 2 dollars up to 12 dollars. Online depending on if they are breeder quality or not they are pricier.

As for decor, I choose live plants as they help keep the water clean and they even will grow and reproduce so I have MORE plants. Bettas don't eat plants. PLASTIC plants can hurt bettas, if they are sharp enough to hurt their fins.

Depending on the size tank depends on how often you should change the water, in general with larger tanks we like to do a weekly change, but the amount depends on if the water is cycled, how big it is, etc.

You can divide a big tank with plastic mesh dividers that will separate one fish from the others. Some people have divided something like a 50 gallon 5 times, giving each betta 10 gallons of space without having to be near each other.

Betta males cannot live with other bettas. In a 10 gallon or larger a male can live with other peaceful fish or shrimp. Females can live in groups of other female bettas in a 10 gallon or larger, as well as other peaceful fish and shrimp.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #22 
hummingbird

Thanks! What do the plants do to help with the water????
What kind of plants would you recommend for bettas that do not really need substrate?
Thanks
hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #23 
purplemuffin

Plants eat ammonia! :) Ammonia is bad for fish, but good for plants! Helps keep the water clean and healthy. Of course, plants need light and you need to pick off dead leaves so they don't deteriorate the water quality. But I love them!

Umm java fern, marimo balls, anubias!

http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...-Plants_c6.htm

This website sells plants, you can either buy the plants there, or use it to study and find the plants you want in person so you don't have to pay shipping! If there is a plant you like, google the scientific name and the word 'care' so you can make sure your tank will work with the plant!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #24 
hummingbird

Thank you so much! You seem to know a lot about Bettas! Are you an expert?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #25 
hummingbird

Alos, are corkscrew Vals good for bettas?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #26 
GreenTea

Any freshwater aquatic plants are safe for them as far as I know :)

I am SO SORRY that guy ripped you off. I honestly cannot believe that. If you don't mind my asking, where are you located country wise? If you are in the US, I would suggest checking craigslist, goodwill, garage sales, salvation army, places like that for cheap tanks! Ask family and friends if they know anyone who has one sitting somewhere you could buy cheaply.

Bettas are aggressive, territorial fish. I can't believe that.... He either has no idea what he was talking about and was just guessing or deliberately took your money....regardless I hope you have another option for buying fish related items, and boycott that place. How awful..

The minimum for a regular sized (not giant) betta is 2.5 - 3 gallons basically. My giants get 5 - 10 gallons each, and I have a 20 gallon sorority with all female bettas as well. Some other low maintenance, low light great plants for bettas are java moss, amazon swords, vals, corkscrew and otherwise... They like to sleep on leaves or in hidey holes :) I have compact and regular amazon swords in my tank and the bettas love them.

I hope you can work this situation out ad I would say yes you could divide the tank if you wanted. If you are able to fit a piece of glass or acrylic in there, you could glue it in with aquarium sealant (which comes off easily if you ever want to remove the divider) That way, no hormones or anything would get through! You could give the male 3 - 40 gallons and still have enough room left over for the sorority on the other side. You can also cheaply make a mesh or crafted divider that will allow water and hormones to pass through.

If I were you, I'd report this man and his "business" to the better business bureau in your area or a similar thing, and also review him on yelp, google reviews, SOMETHING warning others about his lies and INSANELY priced items. He's preying on people who haven't done research. How disgusting. I wonder how he sleeps at night. So sorry he did that.

Last edited by GreenTea; 12-30-2011 at 06:51 PM.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #27 
purplemuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Thank you so much! You seem to know a lot about Bettas! Are you an expert?
All of us here are at this forum to learn about bettas! I wouldn't call myself an expert--I only had my male a year before he died of dropsy. :( So sad. But I spend a lot of time researching and learning about these fish! There are some good care sheets on this site you can read up on!
Old 12-31-2011, 12:09 AM   #28 
Sena Hansler

The only plants I don't recommend are ones that have "black hair algae" on them... my girl Rose got herself tangled in it, her gills caught on it :o Waste of money... And I HIGHLY suggest never going back to that person.

for your tank, I'd say do a 20-30% weekly cleaning WITH gravel siphoning. This goes for anything cycled above I'd say 3-5 gallons. Live plants, are much like our trees... trees take carbon dioxide (waste) and make oxygen. Plants in water, take ammonia and create a cleaner tank. Bettas, like any fish will eat the good bacteria and microrganisms on plants it;s good for them!

Also, in case the store owner told you to... I do not recommend peas for bettas. Although, it can (and does for most people) work, it is not very good for the carnivorous fish. This is where Epsom salt, or even daphnia (food) comes in handy.

Also, what temperature is the tank at? (if I didnt see in previous posts sorry) Bettas love 78 F

And like I said, good thing you found this site. I think by far, this is the best forum for betta know-how
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:46 PM   #29 
Myrtaceae

Wow, crazy, did your parents give you the money to buy all that stuff? They must like fish a lot.

I hope your guy/gal do okay and aren't too hard on each other.
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #30 
hummingbird

um.........Myrtaceae.....my parents have been dead for about 4 years....
I live with my husband and 3 childeren.....why would you ask weather my parents gave me money??
This question is rather offensive......