Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #11 
NoahG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjer View Post
I only hate bio due to the teacher...
That's how it was for me with physics, because I love the sciences.

And I agree with the remark about fish changing your world as well -- decided to hold off on a second dog until I'm through with school, but fish are apparently another story. I'm even entertaining the idea of setting up a fish shop at some point, whereas I was going to go into the automotive field. Or maybe I'll do both...haha

I worry at least as much about my fish as I do my dog, and now it's a shame having to destroy perfectly good aquariums and such at work just because there's something missing in the kit. Not to mention the temptation to get a 20-gallon long for $20, finding a place for that, and letting each of my fish have 10-gallons...

On a different note! I thought all of your fish had Greek names! Greek mythology got me interested in mythology in general, and there's so many neat names (not to mention good food: mmmmm, gyros...).

Seems like Atreus has been working his magic -- am I right?
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #12 
Sena Hansler

-reads thread- well, I don't think it was wrong to buy him. I was never allowed a pet as a kid. ever. ever ever ever ever ever And any wanted pets were rehomed (rescue kittens, a dog with wire around his neck as a leash and collar >:( ) or threatened with death (hamster to the cat, bird let free, mouse to the cat, etc). I ended up getting a fish, Mister, and no one objected. My mom finally stopped threatening to flush him And now she respects me and my fish

The animals I've always suggested for people, depending on the situation, is fish (better than TV and they ARE smart for tricks (food) ) horses, dogs and cats.

I'm a spatial/spatial and I'll never get to college. To this world (and my family) I am incompetent, although my skills are amazing in arts, literature, and other intricate things. So, fish are my only means of knowing I can do something right. fish are awesome as therapy, or stress release.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #13 
SpookyTooth

My first (and so far only) betta was actually a therapy fish... I've been housebound for several years (for the most part, I have been lucky enough to get out once in a while, no where far though) and decided I wanted to do something with my time at home besides water my carnivorous plants once a week.

I wanted something interactive that I could care for all on my own. We have an aquarium downstairs (maintained by mum) and I've been longing for one in my room for a while, I also wanted a type of fish that was relatively easy to care for and that didn't mind living on its own (too many fish = too much stress on me, too much responsibility). I found out more about bettas, fell in love with them and did tons of research. While a little more demanding than I'd thought to begin with I decided I'd be willing to do whatever it took to take care of something and not waste my time any longer just sitting here waiting to get better.

So I found Kaze. Set up his tank on my own, have already done a couple of water changes and am gradually increasing in confidence. He's already done me a world of good - though I'm rather paranoid about him right now... I'm still extremely new to all this.

There's nothing wrong with a therapy animal as long as you can care for it - I'm blessed in the sense that I have the resources and help on hand to care for the fish if I find he becomes too much for me alone or if my symptoms become more severe. If your new betta brings you joy then all the power to you and I'm sincerely sorry that you're feeling blue at the moment.

I think everyone falls into a pit sometimes. Regardless of the cause it can be excessively difficult to climb out but over time and with something to focus your energy on it should help you make that first pull. Congratulations on your new fish and I hope you feel better soon!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #14 
erinandares

Ahah, I wanted to do Greek food for my birthday dinner, but no one else wanted it so I settled on subway. >.> Le sigh.

Atreus is wonderful today. I felt that the KK was a little small. I only got the medium, and didn't realize it was so small until I got it home. I returned it and bought him a three gallon tank. The halfmoon shaped one with the bubbler, which is off. I'll tackle baffling the filter tomorrow, since it was throwing him around... Right now, it's off.

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who ever gets in a depressive funks. I mean, even though you know it logically, you never really think about other people while you're in that mindset, you get stuck on you, you, you. How much it sucks being you.

But the therapy betta and all my other guys have been taking my mind off the negative, slowly but surely. Wanting to care for them does wonders for your outlook. How can you not cheer up looking at a dancing yellow betta named Banana Fish? :o Or a new guy exploring an awesome tank? I rest my case.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:11 AM   #15 
Sena Hansler

I know my El Dorado "brightens" my day!! Right now I am seeing Shadow struggle to dart behind the filter and flare at his reflection o_O
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote