Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #1 
GwenInNM

Need assistance with newly purchased female

I bought a female betta at PetCo today. Felt sorry for her in the small cup. I have a 43 gal with fish that won't hurt her, but she is hanging at the top in the back. I'll never even see her if she stays there. I really don't mind, but I'm wondering if I should get another female, or what I can do to make her more comfortable. My tank is well planted and my water conditions are good. I do regular water changes, etc.

Her fins are not clamped, so she is fine, but seriously, she's so small and hanging at the top. Will she get more comfortable over time, and be visible? Anyone have experience with this?

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:22 PM   #2 
audjree

What temperature is the tank? What are the other kinds of fish in the tank? For now, she's probably just trying to adjust to her new environment. Give her some time, and eventually, she should get curious and explore. (: Have you tried feeding her?
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #3 
GwenInNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audjree View Post
What temperature is the tank? What are the other kinds of fish in the tank? For now, she's probably just trying to adjust to her new environment. Give her some time, and eventually, she should get curious and explore. (: Have you tried feeding her?

The temp is at 78-79. I did offer her food when she was in the cup, and happily, she did eat. She looks healthy. There were others at the store that were either dead, or close to it. The other fish in the tank are 4 Botia-Angelicus loaches, some kuhli loaches, one male Bolivian Ram, one female Blue Gourami, 2 neon dwarf rainbows, neon tetras and a Bamboo shrimp.

Gwen
Old 01-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #4 
kathstew

Bettas and gouramis are from the same family, which means both are very aggressive. Its not a good idea to keep them together. I would separate them immediately.

Also, you should always quarantine new fish before putting them with other fish in case they carry disease. Especially considering the other bettas at the store were mostly dead, that is a red flag.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #5 
Myates

I would say she is adjusting to her new home- as she came from a breeder, to the cup and now into a large tank with other fish. As long as she isn't clamping, and is eating then she will adjust in time and be swimming around.

I normally agree with no gouramis and bettas- I would keep an eye on them and see, both being female it may play out differently.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #6 
GwenInNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I would say she is adjusting to her new home- as she came from a breeder, to the cup and now into a large tank with other fish. As long as she isn't clamping, and is eating then she will adjust in time and be swimming around.

I normally agree with no gouramis and bettas- I would keep an eye on them and see, both being female it may play out differently.

I was going to put her in my 5 gal with my Red Cherry Shrimp, even though I know she'd eat the babies, but I couldn't catch her (didn't try real hard). So, I've been watching her. She is showing more comfort, and is swimming around, mostly near the top, but I did see her once near the front of the tank, toward the bottom. The female Gourami is not bothering her at all, so I'm going to continue to observe. I did put a flake in front of her, she followed it, and ate it. I put my finger near her, and she showed curiosity, so I think she's doing better.

Appreciate the input.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #7 
GwenInNM

Just to update you all. My female betta is doing good. She is less shy, and does swim around, eats etc. She isn't completely out with all the fish, but does stay near the sides. No one bothers her, and she is a good little fish.

Not the best pic, but here is one. Any name ideas for her?

Gwen
Attached Images