Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #1 
Fieldz

Unhappy Finrot

My little boy has some finrot which started to get even worser. I have 1kg of Aq. salt here and started treating him with 2tsp. Hes in a 1gal quarantine tank and ill do water changes 100% everyday. It seems that his fins are not gettin worser, nor better. What should I do?

BIG PROBLEM: Here in my country they dont sell any medicines for bettas but some antifungal and antibacterial which im using too ( I seriously think its water paint... because it made my aquarium go green ).

Im really sad and think ill lose him :(

Last edited by Romad; 12-31-2011 at 06:48 AM. Reason: language
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #2 
ThorAndGhost

Hi there,

before I begin, you should know that I am not as experienced as some other members, so you may want to double check with another person before taking any serious action.

Best thing for fin rot when you have no meds at at your disposal is CLEAN WATER. Clean, clean CLEAN water is necessary. Make sure it's dechlorinated. Some people say a bit of aquarium salt is also good, and I do add that to my tanks, but you may want to double check with someone else for your particualr case.
If you can get a product called API Stress Coat, it's good for the fish and it removes the chlorine from the water as well. A lot of people on this site have recommended it to me, and in my experience, it works wonders. I won't use any other water conditioner except this one!

If you can tell me what country you're in, I might be able to help you get the medications you need. I know in Canada, certin products are very hard to come by, but I have a link or two that might be of some help.

Let me know, and good luck!
ThorAndGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #3 
ThorAndGhost

Oh right, and the antifungal you have (if it's the same one I have) also turns the water green. It takes a few days, but it works great! What is the name of the anti-fungal, if I may ask?
Old 12-31-2011, 09:12 AM   #4 
Fieldz

The name of the anti-fungal is atlantys... I think its made in Brazil sincerely ( not good! ).

Thanks alot for the help guys. I already got the stress coat, lets hope for the best!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:17 AM   #5 
ThorAndGhost

API also sells an anti fungal called Fungus Cure. It's the one I have that turns the water green, if you found stress coat by API you may be able to find Fungus Cure, and it's worked great for me in the past.

You may also want to consult a more experienced member for advice, since I'm kind of a newbie.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:05 PM   #6 
callistra

What is the tank temp?

I have never heard of that medication.. what is the active ingredient(s)?

Photos would be helpful.

True fin rot is bacterial in nature and almost always starts (I've personally never known it not to) from problematic water conditions. If 100% water changes and salt is not helping then he probably needs a good antibiotic not anti fungal. Tetracyline or Kanamyacin would be good choices.. I don't like Tetracycline myself as it causes very obvious fish stress in every fish I've used it on but I have yet to see a fish look stressed by the Kanamyacin.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #7 
Fieldz

They dont sell any of those here.. only melafix I think ( destroys your betta labyrint ).