Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #11 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcupid765 View Post
Kfryman: Thanks for your advice, BUT all of my Petco's plants are in tanks growing with the fishies, so they all are aquatic! I've gotten that type of Anubis before and it's doing fine :) The only plants that i've had rot, where the ones that come in the plastic tubes! Some of those still work too though.
Are you sure because I see some plants that my mom has planted in pots lol. How long have they been in there for? And just saying eventually the bamboo WILL rot.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #12 
pinkcupid765

Jrf456: Hahaha, Thanks! X3
pinkcupid765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #13 
PixelatedPaint

I know lucky bamboo will rot slowly. You wont notice at first. As long as the leaves are out of water itll be fine though. Itll sour the water if submerged. Sometimes taking a month or so to show signs of rot.

May plants at those retail stores are marked as aquatic or semi aquatic. Semi aquatic plantsare not suited for long term aquatic life.

****Although I dont see anything wrong with your plants aside from the one bamboo having its leaves submerged. Many of these aquatic plants have similarities to land loving plants.****

I love all of your fishies.They all look so happy. I especially loveiggy. His coloration is so unique and vibrant!
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #14 
pinkcupid765

kfryman: You see Emiko's tank? I've had that Anubias in there since he was in quarantine. When he was in quarantine, he had almost no fins so... I'd say about 2-3+ months. It came in one of the plastic tubeys! Anubias ARE aquatic plants, bamboo are semi-aquatic. There are lots of different types of Anubias. Some may not be aquatic, but i'm not a plant expert... all i know is that the kind i have can be in water, grow and live in it.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #15 
pinkcupid765

PixelatedPaint: Thanks for commenting! Yeah hopefully their leaves will grow taller before that happens! Hehe~ and Thanks! I just got iggy from Petco 3 days ago! I was there when they got new shipments so I got first picks! :)

Last edited by pinkcupid765; 01-01-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #16 
PewPewPew

You're incorrect about the aquatic-ness of most of the plants, OP. Yes, anubias is fully aquatic, this is fairly well known; but most of the plants with the yellow-y/white edging are not. You have anubias, swords (I think?) and what is very obviously terrestrial plants... While they might take a while* to die, as they do they're harming the water quality as well as slowly dying.

Just because they are grown in a water tank in a petco/smart really doesnt mean anything, we're also talking about companies that willingly sell fish into 1/8 gallon "tanks", so be wise and dont trust them.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #17 
pinkcupid765

Swords aren't aquatic??? They grow and thrive in my tanks... O.o The ones in Iggy tank, I had before i got iggy. I grew them in an older tank.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #18 
eaglescout434

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post

Just because they are grown in a water tank in a petco/smart really doesnt mean anything, we're also talking about companies that willingly sell fish into 1/8 gallon "tanks", so be wise and dont trust them.
I agree with PPP the workers at a retail chain like petco do not know what they are talking about half the time (or even less). Their job is to sell you their products not do what is knowledgeable and right. It is not the workers fault that they dont know the products that they are selling its the stores for putting them in the position without giving them the training that they need.
eaglescout434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #19 
PitGurl

Just going to add my two cents here. Just as pewpewpew stated the anubias is aquatic but will not live if their rizomes are in the gravel. They do best attached to a rock or a piece of driftwood. The bamboo is called semi-aquatic because it can live with it's stem in the water but not it's leaves. Anyways, you have nice tanks and beautiful bettas.

Last edited by PitGurl; 01-01-2012 at 05:47 PM.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #20 
pinkcupid765

Eaglescout434: Oh... so basically i screwed up my tanks and i'll slowly kill my fish if i don't take out the plants?

Tags
awesomeness, betta fish, new years, tank makeovers, update