Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2008, 12:47 AM   #11 
KikiNBatta

:shrugs: I don't know if a rock would work the same way or not - seems more direct, so it'd probably warm the water up quicker, but I'd (personally) be worried that my fishie might touch it and get burneded........sorry, I baby talk about fish XD
KikiNBatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #12 
bobbysgrl

Yeah I don't want Baby(my fish's name) to get burned...but still, why does she lay under the filter?
bobbysgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #13 
KikiNBatta

I have absoltuely no idea. Maybe she just likes that spot? Blaze is a hyperactive fishie like I haven't ever seen before. He also seems happier than most of the bettas I've had. He usually has his fins 'extended' (not exactly flared as in battle-mode, just bigger than usual), so I figure he's okay, he's just hyperactive :)
Each fish has their own personality...I don't know about staying at the bottom of the tank - that doesn't really sound good, but maybe the filter thing is just a place she likes?
Old 01-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #14 
amandalynn

My fish Henry likes rest in between the heater and filter in my tank, so I think different fish just have their favourite places to hang out. So, I wouldn't make to much of the fact that she lies under the filter.
amandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #15 
bobbysgrl

Yeah...I'm a new to owning a Betta(I've always owned dogs) and I'm not really sure what their behaviors are. For example, I placed a mirror near her tank, is it bad for her too, or only the males? And are they supposed to eat right when you put the food in the tank or do they just find it later on? I want to know a lot about her because I want to give her a better life than the one she had in the dirty plastic bowl in Wal-Mart.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:55 PM   #16 
KikiNBatta

rant...Better than her life at Wal-Mart? That wouldn't take much >:( Walmart takes horrid care of their bettas.../rant

I feed Blaze Hikari Betta Bio-Gold. So far I think that's the best food there is - not that I've tried all of them, but Blaze and any other betta I've ever had loves it. It hardly took him any time (like less than 4 minutes) to get used to it - and bettas are known for pickiness when it comes to food, so it's surprising that he took it that fast...what's more, I switched foods immediately instead of over a period of time (though over a period of time is better for them - if he'd shown signs of not liking it, I'd probably have done it slower) Anyways, that's the end of my advertisement for Hikari Betta Bio-Gold
They usually take it pretty immediately (the food).
Old 01-06-2008, 08:18 PM   #17 
amandalynn

If she hasn't eaten any of the food within five minutes or so, take the food out of the tank with a net or something or else it will rot and that can make your fish pretty sick.
amandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #18 
bobbysgrl

I've been trying to give her Wardley's Essentials Betta Food. She's eaten it once, that I've seen and another time she has spit it out. She also doesn't like the Tetra Min Tropical Flakes....Where can I find this fabulous food you speak of?

I tried the sock thing and it didn't make the water warmer it just clouded up the water.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:19 AM   #19 
KikiNBatta

Hm...that's strange that it would cloud up the water. I don't remember it doing so when I did it - you did put it on the outside, right?
You can find it at Wal-Mart, I'm not sure where else you can. Here's a picture of what it looks like, along with other products that they have:

http://www.vivarium.cz/images/hikari_betta_bio-gold.jpg