Betta Fish Forum banner

Require assistance with new betta (damaged fins and heater)

694 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
So after swimmy (last betta) passed on, I decided to do a few upgrades, to a 5.5 gallon tank with lights, a power filter, thermometer, new gravel, and new plants for the next betta.

Problem is we already went out and bought the new betta so I had to place him in the old tank for now.

Named him flow, but his anal fin seems to be damaged and ventral fins are quite long and appear abit strange too. I didn't realize this when I bought him from petsmart but was wondering if this may be reflected in his personality. I will post pics up tomorrow morning.

I know that bettas have different personalities but this one seems alot more relaxed and doesnt flare up at all compared to my last one. Maybe it will take him a while to adjust so I can get to know him better but he doesn't seem quite energtic.

Also was wondering a cheap efficient heater for a 5.5 gallon tank and any other essentials I might need for the new tank. Along with help starting the cycles and when to do water changes.

And is it true that only a few drops of conditioner suffice? I have been using half a bottle cap for a 1.5 gallon tank :S

See less See more
#2 ·
I would get a 50w heater, you could get a 25w heater but it will get worn out faster. You could get this heater it is adjustable and is cheap for such a good heater. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submers...M03G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325570068&sr=8-2

He may perk up later on or he may just be chill. If he was housed next to other male bettas he is more used to other bettas so it may be harder for you to get him to flare. Once he is housed alone for a while he will regain some spunk and flare more.

What kind of water conditioner is it? It should also say how much to use on the bottle, or at least it should.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, was also wondering about the betta's fins. I dont have pics yet but what can I do about them? The anal fin is damaged (not significantly) along with the ventral fins.

Also, are there any alternatives to the 50W heater? I live in Canada and checked on amazon.ca and its almost 50 bucks, which is a rip off IMO since my local petsmart heaters around 25.

#4 ·
Clean water. That's my remedy for damaged fins :)
If anything, get an adjustable heater from Petsmart. Sometimes for us in Canada it is cheaper to get it in person, or online... depends what, and where :lol:

#5 · (Edited)
I guess I should have picked up the mini heater from petsmart earlier today then, the representative recommended it but I wasn't sure if it would be the right one. How much do heaters cost on average for a 5 gallon tank, and which brands should I avoid?

Clean water. That's my remedy for damaged fins :smile:
I know I should be patient, but I'm worried if it may be a disease or something. How long should it take for its fins to grow back with the right conditions?

I don't want to move it into the 5.5gallon tank until it gets better and I get the heater, until then should I do a 50% water change every other day with a 100% a week? How much drops of conditioner should I add in when I do the 50% changes and 100% changes?

#6 ·
There really are no brands I "don't recommend"... With ANY bought heater, put it in a container of equal or similar size (3-5 gallons aka 8 cups per gallon), and test it before adding to make sure 1. it works and 2. it won't fry your fish (faulty). I have tetra, unknown, German brand, and another unknown :lol:

For a 1.5, every 2-3 days 50% is fine, no need for a 100% as it could stress him out too much. gravel siphon, to get any debris/poo. At the back of your conditioner it should tell you how much to add... if it goes by 10 gallons, take 1/4 of the dose for the 1.5.

#8 ·
what cycle? well, cycling take 4-6 weeks. I will note, I've never had ammonia burn on ANY betta while they were in a cycling or non-cycled tank. Just watch the ammonia levels, and clean accordingly. There WILL be a spike of ammonia, don't get scared, just do small water changes as you should (20% weekly gravel siphoning), and add tap water conditioner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.