Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #21 
onemanswarm

Racist Betta?

Quick background: Santa brought my son a male veiltail in a planted, heated, filtered, and cycled 15g tank. All is well. The aquarium is in a location where it will be getting quite a bit of sunlight, so I determined that a pair of apple (mystery) snails would make a nice addition to help control the anticipated algae growth. My son selected one snail with a yellow shell and translucent white/pink body and a second snail with a light blue shell and brown body.

The problem: The Betta picks on the blue/brown guy. Every time the poor thing tries to come out of its shell, the Betta is there to nip at his antennae, snorkel, eyes, or anything else it dares to bare. Meanwhile, the yellow/white guy gets away scot free and zooms around the tank with impunity!

It's been a week now and the yellow/white snail has nearly doubled in size while the poor blue/brown guy just seems to cower in one place. I've tried to intervene by feeding algae wafers at night and even by placing the blue/brown snail right next to a wafer in a strategic location where it'll be relatively safe. Nothing has worked so far and I'm concerned that the battered snail is going to starve.

Request for advice: I'm seeking the advice of this forum before I do anything too hasty. Should I return the bullied snail? Give it more time? Might the Betta eventually relax his aggression? Any thoughts on why he would go after the brown bodied snail while showing no interest in the lighter colored counterpart? Thank you in advance for your help!
onemanswarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #22 
1fish2fish

Sometimes bettas are just not meant to have tank mates. There's no telling why he would pick on the blue snail and not the gold but I'd probably take the blue one out.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #23 
onemanswarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Sometimes bettas are just not meant to have tank mates. There's no telling why he would pick on the blue snail and not the gold but I'd probably take the blue one out.
Thanks for the reply, 1f2f. I'm leaning in that direction. I was hoping that the 15g would allow me to add some tank mates over time, but even my cursory familiarity with Bettas prepared me for the possibility that he wouldn't be too keen on making friends. Is there any reason to believe that he'd be less aggressive with other species (e.g., ghost shrimp, danios, tetras)?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #24 
1fish2fish

In my experience.. the ones that pick on snails are going to pick on almost anything else. It's really a gamble though.. he could be fine..or he might not.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #25 
onemanswarm

Quote:
In my experience.. the ones that pick on snails are going to pick on almost anything else. It's really a gamble though.. he could be fine..or he might not.
One more request for advice: If I return the snail, any thoughts on how best to explain that to a 2 year old?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #26 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanswarm View Post
Quick background: Santa brought my son a male veiltail in a planted, heated, filtered, and cycled 15g tank. All is well. The aquarium is in a location where it will be getting quite a bit of sunlight, so I determined that a pair of apple (mystery) snails would make a nice addition to help control the anticipated algae growth. My son selected one snail with a yellow shell and translucent white/pink body and a second snail with a light blue shell and brown body.

The problem: The Betta picks on the blue/brown guy. Every time the poor thing tries to come out of its shell, the Betta is there to nip at his antennae, snorkel, eyes, or anything else it dares to bare. Meanwhile, the yellow/white guy gets away scot free and zooms around the tank with impunity!

It's been a week now and the yellow/white snail has nearly doubled in size while the poor blue/brown guy just seems to cower in one place. I've tried to intervene by feeding algae wafers at night and even by placing the blue/brown snail right next to a wafer in a strategic location where it'll be relatively safe. Nothing has worked so far and I'm concerned that the battered snail is going to starve.

Request for advice: I'm seeking the advice of this forum before I do anything too hasty. Should I return the bullied snail? Give it more time? Might the Betta eventually relax his aggression? Any thoughts on why he would go after the brown bodied snail while showing no interest in the lighter colored counterpart? Thank you in advance for your help!
Sorry, been busy lately haven't been on, it's possible it could get used to the snails. My bettas did the same, now they're okay. I would try a bit longer unless it gets too bad then take it out for sure. Might work, but sometimes it just wont! :(

Quote:
True, True like I said above you could try longer, based on your discresion.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanswarm View Post
One more request for advice: If I return the snail, any thoughts on how best to explain that to a 2 year old?
Ooh, that's a tough one hey? You could be truthful and tell him or her the fishy was being mean to the snail so he had to leave for a little bit (or something that makes sense to a young one) or you could make a nice story or something, Honestly I'm not sure.....For the sake of the 2 year old I reccommend you try to keep it to see if it gets better based on your opinion to take it out if it gets too bad. Any more questions, just ask! Keep us posted if it gets better or worse. :) Hopefully it'll work out well for the both of you!
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #27 
onemanswarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman828 View Post
Sorry, been busy lately haven't been on, it's possible it could get used to the snails. My bettas did the same, now they're okay. I would try a bit longer unless it gets too bad then take it out for sure. Might work, but sometimes it just wont! :(

True, True like I said above you could try longer, based on your discresion.

Ooh, that's a tough one hey? You could be truthful and tell him or her the fishy was being mean to the snail so he had to leave for a little bit (or something that makes sense to a young one) or you could make a nice story or something, Honestly I'm not sure.....For the sake of the 2 year old I reccommend you try to keep it to see if it gets better based on your opinion to take it out if it gets too bad. Any more questions, just ask! Keep us posted if it gets better or worse. :) Hopefully it'll work out well for the both of you!
UPDATE:

First of all, I thank you both for your insights. I felt better about my decision after taking your opinions into account. After another 24 hours of complete inactivity, I returned the tortured snail to the LFS, where it was promptly added to their adoption tank. Surprisingly, they generously offered me an in-store credit of $2.49. I requested a rain check pending further observation of the interaction between the Betta and the gold snail. If he turns his aggression toward his sole remaining tank mate, I may have to accept the fact that he's simply an antisocial Betta. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

I broke the news to my son with minimal deception. I told him that Noodle was sick and that we needed to take him to the pet store so the doctor could help him feel better. He took it well and was relieved to know that Pinky (the gold snail) and Nemo (what else would a 2yo name his fish?) were feeling just fine. His only request was that we visit Noodle to see him when he's better.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #28 
jman828

Aww, that's so cool he took it well. That makes me happy and I'm sure it makes you feel good too! :) Glad it all turned out well and you made a good decision based on you opinion on the matter. Good Job :)!
In Memorium - Noodle: Best Wishes
Old 01-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #29 
Mavi

Would an apple snail be alright in an unfiltered five gal? Or is more space needed?
Mavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #30 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavi View Post
Would an apple snail be alright in an unfiltered five gal? Or is more space needed?
Depends what's in there with it, if you have one betta, yes but only one....more than one betta, nothing else