Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #1 
Tash

Female makes nest and lays eggs herself??!

Hello... I have had my male and female fish for pets for about a year now ( I am not a real enthusiast but like how easy it is to keep them) but have been keeping the female and male separated as he is quite aggressive towards her, and figured I would put her in once he had built a bubble nest as the articles I have read said to do, but was surprised this morning to find that she has built her own bubble nest in her tank and it is full of her eggs??? WTF???!! Is this normal?? I had always thought the male wraps himself around her to expel the eggs before he placed them in the nest he makes?... so have just joined this forum to see if anyone can shed some light on this situation for me as I have tried to find information the net about it and found absolutely nothing to say a female displays this behaviour?? I will watch the eggs and can only assume that they will not hatch due to the lack of fertilzation from the male, but how common is this kind of behaviour?? I still dont know how the hell she lay the eggs by herself???

Regards
Tash
Tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:20 AM   #2 

Female bettas do not actually require the help of a male to expel the eggs; the reason the male wraps around the female is to fertilize the eggs (not to push them out of her), and the female can drop them all on her own if she does not find a mate (or reabsorb the eggs). I don't think it is too common for females to put eggs in their own bubble nests, but it isn't unheard of. Each betta has its quirks; I've heard of some females even trying to tend their nest, waiting for the eggs to hatch! If you plan on going ahead with breeding, be careful; I don't know how much research you've done, but I hear it's pretty tough to get it right. The parents often try to kill each other as part of their courtship (and may succeed if either betta is not ready to mate), and keeping the fry alive (and jarring all the males that survive long enough to turn aggressive) is also quite a challenge. Not a project I have the resources to try, but I'm sure it would be rewarding if you are prepared to make it work. Oh, and welcome to the forum. ^^
7103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:59 AM   #3 
Tash

Thank you. She is guarding the nest as well, so looks like she's determined to be a single mum lol... I shall let them stay in bowl for couple of days and then take them out as know they would normally only take 36-48 hours to hatch. This may sound weird, but do some people milk the males for their sperm?? Is that a REALLY weird idea?? lol...

Anyway thanks for the info... I'm still quietly impressed by her, and not really into breeding but like to let nature take its course where-ever possible.

Much appreciated
Tash :)
Tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #4 

I don't know about milking males for sperm; I've never heard of something like that, but I suspect that it would be rather ineffective. The female will likely eat the eggs herself eventually (probably sooner rather than later), but this no cause for alarm, as it is normal and will not harm her.
7103 is offline   Reply With Quote