Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #1 
xXGalaxyXx

Betta won't eat. :c

My HMPK Galaxy hasn't been eating since I bought him his new 1.7 gal tank. He grabs a pellet and looks like he's eating it, but then he spits it back out. He looks much skinnier, too. However, I have no idea what's causing it. I haven't changed his diet, water change routines are the same, water parameters are normal (same as they were before). The only thing I've changed since he's stopped eating was his tank and the decorations in it, but I'm honestly not sure how this could effect him, especially since his neighbor got an identical tank and decorations and is eating like normal. His behavior also hasn't changed - he's still swimming around and flaring and biting his shiny rock like normal, and aside from looking a bit skinnier (which I assume is just from his lack of food - he hasn't eaten since Christmas day) his appearance is normal as well.
Any ideas as to what's wrong with him, or am I just being paranoid? o.o;
xXGalaxyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

He's probably just needing some time to feel cozy in his new home. Some bettas dislike change of any sort, while others don't mind it at all.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:05 PM   #3 
ThorAndGhost

He might just need some time to get comfy in his new home. I had this problem when I first brought Ghost home. Ghost wouldn't eat for 3 weeks! In the end, I had to buy brine shrimp eggs and hatch them! Ghost only eats living things for some reason. So if you get really worried, rather than moving him again (and freaking him out even more), live food always works, and if you hatch your own, you have better control over the possibility of infections and so forth.
ThorAndGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #4 
yummyink

My fish won't eat either. I have no idea whats wrong. I got him about three days ago. New to this whole betta thing. I found out recently that he has a fungus infection. I have been changing the water daily and adding the Aq. salt and bettasafe water conditioner. So far I'm seeing less and less of the fungus on his body. He came from the store like that, poor baby was covered. I'm not sure if it's the infection that is causing him not to eat, or the water change, or the small bowl, or maybe as ThorAndGhost stated, he may just prefer live food. I really need some help. I doing this by myself and don't want my baby to get any more sick than he already is. I'm starting to freak out. HELP PLEASE!!!!
yummyink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #5 
ThorAndGhost

Sometimes stress freaks the little guys out, and they go on a hunger strike, so to speak. Moving to a new home, temperature or ph changes, illness, tank mates, changes in water quality, all kinds of things can freak the poor guys out.
yummyink, if you can get your hands on API Stress Coat and use that as a water conditioner (it doubles as both), you may notice your little fishie feeling better. I use it as my regular dechlorinator and it works wonders. Even on my new guy, Laz, who is in terrible condition (I "inherited" him from someone who essentially abandonned him), within a day I could see an improvement.

Bettas can go quite awhile without food, so maybe give him a bit more time to see what happenes. In the meantime, you may want to check out your options for live food. Most fishies can't resist live food :)
ThorAndGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #6 
SwimmR

One of my bettas (the one in my avitar actually) didn't eat for 8 whole days after I got him. I was so worried. He still won't eat big pellets (like Top Fin) but he did eventually start eating micropellets (New Life Spectrum). So, you could try smaller pellets, or even pre-soaking them so they're soft. But it may just be a matter of time.
SwimmR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #7 
xXGalaxyXx

Thanks for the help, guys <3 He managed to eat one pellet last night (but spat the others out, haha). It's not much, but it's better then before. I actually have BBS on the hatching for a planned spawn - if things don't get better I'll see if I can tempt him with a couple of those.
xXGalaxyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #8 
yummyink

Thanks for the advice...I've keep everyone updated on how Shaka is doing. Again... THANKS! :)
Old 01-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #9 
yummyink

Okay... It seems as if I just can't get a brake here. Shaka was doing much better. I noticed the white patches starting to disappear, he began to finally eat, and started swimming all around his bowl. Now... it seems the patches are comming back. I'm not really positive on that though. And he dosent do much swimming, he just floats at the top on the bowl, near the edge. Blowing bubbles and eating them. I'm so confused. Last night, his tank busted, and I had to quickly find another bowl. Luckily he survived. But he's doing this weird ticking movement and litterally is ramming himself into the bowl. Rubbing against his rocks. I really need some help. Has anyone ever experienced these symtoms with their betta before and what can I do to make him better. I'm so scared that I might lose my baby, I can barely sleep at night. HELP!!!