Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #1 
Bowie

Exclamation Fin Rot Help Please!

Hi!
I'm new here and looking for some help, there are NO good aquarium places nearby that could give any advice and I don't trust the major pet stores..

My fish, Bowie, has acquired fin rot from what I can tell, he seemed fine and then one day I noticed a huge split in his tail. It quickly progressed into missing pieces of his tail fin and now has spread to his bottom one as well.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5G
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets, Flakes, Some frozen bloodworms as treats.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, one day fast.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? I tried twice a week, one 50% one 100%, but have upgraded that since he's been sick.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? ^^
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Tail loss, no colour change.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None, that I've noticed, he still eats like a pig and swims normally.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Changed the water and filter, added aquarium salt. Noticed no change, so I removed the filter cartridge and added MarOxy treatment.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him around a month, but no idea before that, about a year I'd say.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....

Can you post a pic and are you sure he is not tail biting.....
What do the fin tips look like...are they discolored and crusty....

Good that you remove the filter-sometimes the filter and/or water movement can be the cause of fin damage if they are not biting or snagging/pinching it on something in the tank.

Filters are optional for this species and it looks like you had been doing water changes for an unfiltered tank anyway and I would stick to that schedule 50/100% weekly once you get him healed up and leave the filter out altogether.....

Right now since you started him on OTC meds I would complete that course and once that is completed-just do a clean, dechlorinated water treatment with water changes and good nutrition-also adding a tannin source can help-either IAL or dried Oak leaf....then give him time to heal-you don't want to over treat especially with a lot of products and make him toxic...it can take weeks to months for full regrowth depending on amount of damage, overall health, genetic, age, nutrition....this time line can vary....provided that he isn't doing this himself and that can be frustrating....

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #3 
Bowie

Thanks for the reply! His fin tips are dark and look like its flaking in some places, so I assumed it was fin rot.. I'm glad to hear it might take a while, I was getting impatient and hoping it would just stop..
I'll try and take a picture.
Thanks for your help!
Old 01-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

A pic would really help, however, it can sometimes be a challenge getting one on a moving target....lol....or at least I have trouble getting them....laffs....

Not all dark, discolored, black fin tips mean fin rot-sometimes it is normal pigment...usually with rot the tips will look crusty, tattered and discolored...new growth generally will look white, clear or the base color of the fish and sometimes a whole different color all together...
Old 01-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #5 
Bowie

I'm sorry the picture is so blurry, but you can see it's on both fins..
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #6 
SwimmR

I'm not expert, but it looks like my guy that bites his own tail. OldFishLady - can I just put one dried oak leaf in a 1gal bowl? What do the tannins do?
SwimmR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

It does look like tail biting...pretty fella by the way.....

I use naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf...18-20 crushed per gallon of water for treatment....the tannins have antibacterial/fungal properties, help to ease stress, toughen scales/fins, can lower pH slightly....
Old 01-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #8 
Bowie

I'm still not sure if it was tail biting or fin rot but he seems to be getting better, I see some clear growth(?) on the ends of his fins, not sure if that means its growing back. Hopefully! Thank you for your help. :3

EDIT:

When his fins grow back, will they be the same colour?

Last edited by Bowie; 01-03-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #9 
SwimmR

OldFishLady - do you then skim the leaf pieces out after the tannins have leached into the water, or just leave them in?
SwimmR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Depending on the amount or how bad the damage-sometimes the fins never look the same....if it is minor damage-usually the new growth will color up in time...

I leave the leaf bits in the QT container with the Betta-but removing them is okay too....
I leave the leaf bits in the premixed jug of treatment water until I mix a new batch-the longer the leaf bits steep the more tannins will release-the darker the water-the more the Betta will like it....
Depending on why/what I am treating I may use tannin stained water so dark you can barely see the fish.....