Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Art
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #11 
Sakura8

I think what Sena means is that many commercial breeders overbreed the fish, resulting in genetically weak fish who become ill very easily and who have genetic defects. That is how I interpret it. Let's remember that commercial breeders view breeding very differently than hobby breeders. Sena's not talking about hobby breeders, but those who mass breed without regard for the consequences.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #12 
Summer

But half the diseases you mentioned weren't abuse. Like, fin rot and clamped fins? They are preventable but if a fish gets them it doesn't scream 'abuse and neglect!'

And I think someone else mentioned it but buying sick bettas from stores isn't really rescuing them. It's just letting the store employees and manager know they can get away with selling sick fish. At least, from what I gather, that's where most of your "rescued" fish come from.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #13 
HOTPOKKIT

It also increases demand on the store. More demand = more bettas sold.

You're doing them a favor and increasing their revenue.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #14 
Sakura8

Haha, I think the concept of "rescuing" differs from person to person. One will view it as a rescue, another won't. As far as I'm concerned, if it gets the betta out of its terrible conditions, it's rescuing. Maybe not in the strictest sense of the definition but I doubt the betta in question won't quibble about whether it was "rescued" or "purchased." But hey, we can agree to disagree.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #15 
Sakura8

Even if every conscientious betta owner stopped buying bettas from chain pet stores in protest, the loss of revenue from those people wouldn't even make a dent in the profits that the stores make from ignorant people buying bettas.

Let's face it, pretty much all of us get our bettas from pet stores. Better that one out of every ten bettas goes to a good home than ten out of ten bettas going to a lousy one.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #16 
PewPewPew

Regardless, most people dont know that (even if it is true, though I dont think that was the thought until you said it, Sakura), and most people will think it.

People need concise, factual information. They need to develop their own opinions. Shoving the fact that "breeders" (et. al) gave their fish that "mystery disease" (tissue necrosis) onto a person is confusing!

If you dont know it dont post it! Argh! I cant stand when people do things like this! I cant!

Between this, the "mystery disease" business and that dang acrylic tank bit, nothing said of yet is backed by anything close to factual evidence. None of it.

You complain and complain about people getting on you about things like this, but have you yet wondered, maybe they have a point? I dont get people riding my rear about things, because I only say what I know. And if I dont know it, then dangit, I dont say it.

Its one thing to speculate with people on a higher level in the hobby about things one is uncertain of. It's how we learn. But to spit in a new hobbyist's face in such a way as to give out bad information when others who would tell you otherwise is both irresponsible and selfish.

Listen for a moment and really look at people's reactions. Look who fawns over you and look who scorns. Those who know little and those who have experience.

Who is in your favor? Think about it and actually post things you are certain of!!

Its things like this that put me in a bad spot. I try hard and literally research everything that I can. Always. I dont get ahead of myself. And yet there are many who would like to front me and null all my hard work in an effort to distribute poor and lacking information. Im not bashing you, Im bashing what you do.

/rant.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

I'm never surprised that bettas purchased from pet stores or places like Walmart seem to die off a lot more often than those bought from a more reputable source.

My local fish store has rows and rows of dead bettas in cups, and even the 'healthy' ones I've picked up, have never looked as physically good as bettas I have purchased from overseas or local hobby breeders.

Personally I think that mystery disease is a fast-acting form of columnaris. I wouldn't blame the breeder for that since who knows what kind of stress was put on these bettas before being purchased.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #18 
HOTPOKKIT

/mic drop
Old 01-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #19 
Sakura8

I don't think Sena meant for this video to be so controversial. She just wanted to get a message out about the bad conditions that bettas are kept in. That's all. Let's just leave it at that.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #20 
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I don't think Sena meant for this video to be so controversial. She just wanted to get a message out about the bad conditions that bettas are kept in. That's all. Let's just leave it at that.
I think this goes without saying, but there's hundreds of thousands of videos like that on youtube already. What she needs to focus on is her information.
Closed Thread