Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Art
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #21 
1fish2fish

The fact is that commercial fish breeders are the second best home these fish ever have (that is implying the fish go to GOOD homes.. not fish who go to bad homes).

Sick fish don't breed.. so they have to take care of their fish. And if they are constantly selling sick fish to the store.. they lose business. Chain pet stores CAN switch suppliers.. which is the last thing the commercial breeders want.

They may be bred willy-nilly and they may have horrid genetic backgrounds... but they generally don't come carrying disease. That happens in transit.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #22 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
The fact is that commercial fish breeders are the second best home these fish ever have (that is implying the fish go to GOOD homes.. not fish who go to bad homes).

Sick fish don't breed.. so they have to take care of their fish. And if they are constantly selling sick fish to the store.. they lose business. Chain pet stores CAN switch suppliers.. which is the last thing the commercial breeders want.

They may be bred willy-nilly and they may have horrid genetic backgrounds... but they generally don't come carrying disease. That happens in transit.

*Slow clap*

I agree.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #23 
LittleBettaFish

The problem is by 'rescuing' bettas from big box stores, you are only compounding on the problem.

Look how many people were outraged by the sale of baby bettas, and yet look how many people post on here saying they 'rescued' one from the evil Petco. Petco now knows it has a good market going for its product.

I think if you are really passionate about stopping cruelty and ignorance, form a group of like-minded people and start getting out there and spreading the word. Write up info sheets and contact owners of stores and see if they will display them for you. Heck, contact the local paper and see if you can't raise some public awareness there.

I find people are more swayed by someone who can verbally articulate and debate a point of view, than a youtube video. I think it tends to leave more of an impression.

Also I never see why people post on an open forum if they only want praise. A bit of debate is healthy as long as it does turn to mud-slinging.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #24 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Also I never see why people post on an open forum if they only want praise. A bit of debate is healthy as long as it does turn to mud-slinging.

Also +1 to P3 (and Hotpokkit)
Old 01-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #25 
LittleBettaFish

just realised I'd posted that it 'does' turn to mud-slinging

Guess my inner devil slipped out a bit there.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 01-03-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #26 
PewPewPew

I agree, LBF. Better ways, if a person is willing.

I too, have a slow clap. Of an attractive man.

Here it is.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #27 
1fish2fish

Quote:
The problem is by 'rescuing' bettas from big box stores, you are only compounding on the problem.

Look how many people were outraged by the sale of baby bettas, and yet look how many people post on here saying they 'rescued' one from the evil Petco. Petco now knows it has a good market going for its product.

I think if you are really passionate about stopping cruelty and ignorance, form a group of like-minded people and start getting out there and spreading the word. Write up info sheets and contact owners of stores and see if they will display them for you. Heck, contact the local paper and see if you can't raise some public awareness there.

I find people are more swayed by someone who can verbally articulate and debate a point of view, than a youtube video. I think it tends to leave more of an impression.

I agree.

When I first got into advocacy it was because I was very unhappy with the care going on at one of my local walmarts. I started by complaining to the store manager, then to corporate, and then by talking people out of supporting that store's fish section, when I started talking about contacting the local paper... that's when things started changing, and quickly. They still don't take the best care of their fish but dead bettas are much fewer and far between now.

Same thing for my LFS.. they were keeping their kings in tiny bowls that they could barely turn around in... once I got ahold of the store owner and gave him an earful things changed FAST.

Saving bettas is nice and it feels good. But one free betta given away to quite a complaining customer is not what makes change.. letters to corporate and public awareness are what makes change.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #28 
1fish2fish

P3... 100+ cool points for hawt dawson slow clap
Old 01-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #29 
Sakura8

Quote:

Personally I think that mystery disease is a fast-acting form of columnaris.
I would tend to agree with you on this but without scientific confirmation, it's still just the "Mystery Disease." We're waiting for a case that we can send in for a necropsy. It's possible it's also an iridovirus that targets anabantids. Either way, an analysis of a tissue sample should help us pinpoint the exact type of bacteria we're dealing with.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #30 
Sakura8

Debate is one thing. This is another. Let's just drop it before someone gets reported. End of thread.
Closed Thread