Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #61 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaZag View Post
I bought one of the baby bettas from petco and I dont think the guy at the store gave me the right info about taking care of the baby betta. All he said to do is to keep it in the container and crush the betta food pellet and feed it. I need all the info about the baby betta so I can raise a healthy betta fish. I need info about what kind of heater to get what size tank and what food to feed it. Here is a link to the picture of it does my fish look heathy? http://www.facebook.com/pages/Betta-...type=1&theater
Looks exactly like mine! My baby Pooh seems extremely healthy and happy. Her favorite food is the Hikari Sinking Wafers I bought for Pookie The Catfish. I also got her freeze dried blood worms and BettaMin flakes but she doesn't like them as much.

I have her in a 5 gallon tank along with Pookie, with a filter and heater at 76 degrees. I am learning as I go about bettas but everything seems fine at the moment

My next purchase will be some silk plants and a few real plants and a water test kit.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #62 
TeaZag

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Looks exactly like mine! My baby Pooh seems extremely healthy and happy. Her favorite food is the Hikari Sinking Wafers I bought for Pookie The Catfish. I also got her freeze dried blood worms and BettaMin flakes but she doesn't like them as much.

I have her in a 5 gallon tank along with Pookie, with a filter and heater at 76 degrees. I am learning as I go about bettas but everything seems fine at the moment

My next purchase will be some silk plants and a few real plants and a water test kit.
Can I feed it brim shimp? Right now Im just feeding it betta pellets crushed but I don't think that's all he should be eating when he's so young. The only thing that I don't know about the filter is I got betta filters for my adult bettas and they were too strong for them to get oxygen. Thanks for all your help I will go get some stuff for the baby betta soon :)
TeaZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #63 
registereduser

Quote:
Can I feed it brim shimp? Right now Im just feeding it betta pellets crushed but I don't think that's all he should be eating when he's so young. The only thing that I don't know about the filter is I got betta filters for my adult bettas and they were too strong for them to get oxygen. Thanks for all your help I will go get some stuff for the baby betta soon :)
I baffled the filter and they seem happier

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

not sure on the shrimp but the babies are big eaters (growing kids).
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #64 
TeaZag

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
S/he looks stressed (probably due to no heat), but other than that s/he looks good! ^^
You'll need to change that water almost daily though- adding the dechlor and whatnot.
Is the container the cup it came in?
Is s/he eating the crushed pellets?

For a proper size tank, you'll need a 2-3 gallon tank with a heater. The pre-sets are cheaper, but more unreliable- so I'd get one that you can adjust the heat to. Also get some silk plants and hiding spots. :)
Yes he is eating crushed pellets and he did come in that cup. Thanks for all the info I will go to the store and get some new things for the baby betta :)
Old 01-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #65 
youlovegnats

Quote:
You can feed him brine shrimp if he's big enough to eat it. He'll need a variety of food though so you can stick to the crushed pellets as well.
However, you don't need a filter for your bettas- not unless you plan of cycling your tank (which with anything less than a 5 gal. is very hard to do and maintain.). Bettas (and all anabantoids) take oxygen directly from the surface. The little one def. should not have a filter- it will just blow him around and cause him to be stressed out.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #66 
TeaZag

Quote:
You can feed him brine shrimp if he's big enough to eat it. He'll need a variety of food though so you can stick to the crushed pellets as well.
However, you don't need a filter for your bettas- not unless you plan of cycling your tank (which with anything less than a 5 gal. is very hard to do and maintain.). Bettas (and all anabantoids) take oxygen directly from the surface. The little one def. should not have a filter- it will just blow him around and cause him to be stressed out.

Do i need a filter if I put a heater in the tank?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #67 
bettalover2033

Quote:
S/he looks stressed (probably due to no heat), but other than that s/he looks good! ^^
You'll need to change that water almost daily though- adding the dechlor and whatnot.
Is the container the cup it came in?
Is s/he eating the crushed pellets?

For a proper size tank, you'll need a 2-3 gallon tank with a heater. The pre-sets are cheaper, but more unreliable- so I'd get one that you can adjust the heat to. Also get some silk plants and hiding spots. :)
I agree with you. Though keep in mind that these are still fry and fry get easily stressed. Some have those "stress stripes" going across them up until they get color and are adults.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #68 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Do i need a filter if I put a heater in the tank?
You're going to need a filter either way. Especially if you don't feel like siphoning the waste out everyday like a filter does.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #69 
youlovegnats

Well a filter doesn't exactly suck up all the waste...so either way you'll have to siphon out the bottom. For anything less than 5 gal. I don't really bother with filters (unless it's a tank kit- like my minibow). I just do 100% changes at the end of each month.
So say if you were to get a 10 gal. and split it 3 ways (which would make water changes much easier on you, btw.). You would then need to cycle it (which can be a couple weeks) and then only be doing 50% changes once a week (with siphoning) instead of doing two 50%'s a week with the 2.5 gals.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #70 
TeaZag

I found my old fish tank it is a 3 gallon and it has a filter with it and I will buy a heater at the petstore tomorrow. I have water conditner and I have 3 gallons of water sitting out so I can put my baby betta fish In it tomorrow. I will have to try to figure out a way to slow the filter down so she doesnt get pushed around. Ive only been feeding her a peice of crushed pellet 3 imes a day. I hope she is okay for 24 hours in her little cup that she came in. Please let me know if there is anything eles i should do to make her healthy. Thanks for all of your help and for answering my questions :)

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta