Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #1 
MMad1121

Picky Eater?

Speck, the little HM boy I brought home not too long ago, has become very finicky about what foods he'll eat. On the other hand, Boo (the betta I was babysitting) will eat anything and everything.

Someone mentioned in my thread introducing Speck that he looked like a baby. I wouldn't be surprised because of how small he is (a little over an inch, max). If this is the case, could his age and size be determining what he has preference for?

I currently have two foods by Tetra, TetraBetta floating mini pellets and BettaMin Tropical Crisps (not sure what the difference between a flake and a crisp is, they look the same to me). I also have a little container of freeze dried blood worms, which are all he will eat, and not even 100% of the time.

I have tried breaking the "mini" pellets, thinking that he refuses them because they are simply too large. However, he'll get the pellet piece into his mouth, hold it there, and then spit it out in a cloud of tiny pieces that soil his water. His behavior is the same with the "crisps", even though I try to pinch them up in my fingers so they are tiny enough.

When it comes to the freeze dried worms, I have to break those at least once for him to even consider them. Occasionally, however, he will repeat the same spitting behavior, resulting in the soggy piece of worm sinking to the bottom.

What to do with the finicky little fish?
MMad1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #2 
Betta Slave

This boy's giving you some trouble, haha. XD Picky eaters are hard to deal with.

I've had a lot of finicky fish, and I've had to deal with same problem you have many times. Don't feed the the freeze-dried blood worms when he won't eat anything else- just keep feeding him the pellets, and when he gets hungry enough he'll eat them. If he's big enough to actually swallow the pellets you've broken for him, keep feeding them to him. He's just being a jerk about it. XD Don't feed him flakes at all- they're very messy.

Go to your local pet store and see if they have frozen blood worms or brine shrimp. He'll probably eat those. They're not meant to be fed every day (unless you're conditioning a betta for breeding) but it wouldn't hurt to feed them to him for a little while if he continues to refuse everything else.

Last edited by Betta Slave; 01-04-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #3 
MMad1121

Yea he is giving me some trouble all right! He's being a little snot! Whats the difference between the frozen and freeze dried varieties? I was looking at the Dr.s Foster and Smith website for different foods, but I have no idea where to begin. Any brands you would recommend?

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #4 
Roxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMad1121 View Post
Yea he is giving me some trouble all right! He's being a little snot! Whats the difference between the frozen and freeze dried varieties? I was looking at the Dr.s Foster and Smith website for different foods, but I have no idea where to begin. Any brands you would recommend?

Thanks for your help!
Frozen variety are definitely more nutritious compared to freeze dried. When it comes to frozen food, I highly recommend hikari brand.

As for pellets, I would recommend NLS ( new life spectrum ) betta formula OR the small fish variety if you have a smaller betta. I don't think that website carries it though.
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #5 
MMad1121

I was looking at the variety of foods on the NLS website...what about the NLS "Spectrumax Finicky Fish Formula"? It says "An appetite enticing diet enriched with mussel and ideal for fish normally shy of eating dried foods". Kinda sounds like my guy. Thoughts?
Old 01-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #6 
MMad1121

Then again, upon closer review I noticed that those are sinking pellets...so scrap that idea...
Old 01-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #7 
Roxy

Quote:
Then again, upon closer review I noticed that those are sinking pellets...so scrap that idea...
It is quite possible that it may work for you - however, since you have a small betta... I'd go with the small fish formula.

Even though it's a sinking formula, it will still float for a good 5 seconds or so if the surface is calm.

If you prefer a pellet that would float longer, I'd go with the betta formula but those are 1mm in size. My betta is approx 1 inch and have no problem eating it.

The garlic content in the formula should be appetizing enough for your picky betta to eat it.

Last edited by Roxy; 01-04-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #8 
MMad1121

Ok I will try to find the small fish formula. Do Petco or PetSmart ever carry that brand? or do I have to buy it from an online retailer?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #9 
Roxy

Quote:
Ok I will try to find the small fish formula. Do Petco or PetSmart ever carry that brand? or do I have to buy it from an online retailer?
Petco carries the NLS small fish formula in store. :)

http://www.petco.com/product/112084/...t=OnSiteSearch

Last edited by Roxy; 01-04-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #10 
MMad1121

Thank you!!!