Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #1 
xcmviper

Exclamation Sick Betta - Advance Tail/Fin Rot

My Betta Thai became sick while I was away on vacation I did a water change a week before. and a full water change as soon as I noticed his tail fins deteriorating. I'm not sure what happened but here is the info about him.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3.5gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees farenheit
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 1" cory catfish

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? hikari betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 3-4 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aquarium Salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH:about 7
Hardness: didn't test
Alkalinity: didn't test

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? fins and tail rot visible, clumping fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lethargic, on 1/3 he would eat but only if I crushed the pellets. today (1/4) he is not eating and hanging around the filter very still mostly.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Monday. 1/2
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Started today (1/4) with Maracyn-Two
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? got him ~2.5 months ago.

attached is a picture now and when i first got him. please help I don't know what else to do. If i lower the water level my filter won't work and I read I should keep filtration going when treating with medicine.
Attached Images

xcmviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #2 
Tobythefish

You should do 50% water changes twice a week with that size tank. That should help a lot, and the experts will be able to give you more help. You should also use dechlorinator when you do water changes. Also, if you use AQ salt for more than 10 days, kidney problems can develop. Good luck:)
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #3 
Luimeril

also, that tank size is good for ONE fish only. not three. remove the cories or get a bigger tank. i don't know how you're getting that reading, with not only that water change schedule , but a betta and two cories. he might be feeling pretty run down from the water quality.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #4 
xcmviper

I forgot to mention I do put "bettasafe" dechlorinator with water changes.

The corys were only introduced last week so they may have brought disease with them. I can assure you water parameters aren't the problem. I also have an anubias in the tank with them and that keeps the nitrates down substantially, hence longer than average water changes. I was planning on upping my water change schedule with the cory's anyway.

I will be moving to a 10 gallon tank if this betta survives. I started prepping the tank today and going to buy some substrate and new filter tomorrow. Can anyone chime in a good filter for a 10G tank? I've been reading on Marineland penguin filter but not sold on it. Also looking at Tetra Whisper 10i and Fluval U1

Last edited by xcmviper; 01-04-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: add info
xcmviper is offline   Reply With Quote