Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #1 
Saikisen

Please help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSSRM...ure=plpp_video

I was looking at this video from the other thread and realized the third picture from this thread looks very similar to the betta I purchased 2 days ago!!!

What should I do? Is it a disease? How can I help it? I knew it looked strange when I picked it put, but wasn't aure if it was anything bad!!! I'm freaking out.
Saikisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #2 
Saikisen

My apologies i know this should havebeen posted under fish diseases but didn't realize sooner ; but after further investigation the picture at 0:50 and my betta have the same physical deformities especially with the deteriorated ventral fins and partial deterioration in the anal fins ( clumping) AND a brownish color at the base of the anal fin, almost exactly in the picture.

Although it's hard to tell since he never flares up, his caudal fin has some holes in it near the very edges of it as well.

As I mentioned I only got him2 days ago and was planning on moving him to a5.5 gallon tank tomorrow but am unsure of what steps to take now. I purchased him this way from my local petsmart.

Last edited by Saikisen; 01-04-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #3 
ArcticRain

It sounds and looks like your Betta has Fin Rot. Fin rot is caused by bad water quality and is not a deformity, but a disease. It is not deadly if treated correctly and can sometimes be treated with just clean warm water and some TLC. But, if you Betta really does look like the fish in the picture then I reccomend you go on and do the conservative treatment.

•Symptoms: Betta’s fins and/or tail seem to be getting shorter and shorter or they seem to be falling apart and dissolving, Black or red along the edge of the betta’s fins/tail, Bloody tips, Behavior may not change
Treatment: Conservative: Treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Add Stress Coat to help repair tissue. If there is little to no improvement within the first 5 days, you can increase the salt dosage gradually to 2tsp/gal but do not continue any salt treatments past 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth.

My Betta just got through a bad case of Fin Rot and know his tail has almost completely regrown! All I did was the treatment above and kept the water nice and clean. I assume you have a heater?
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #4 
Saikisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRain View Post
It sounds and looks like your Betta has Fin Rot. Fin rot is caused by bad water quality and is not a deformity, but a disease. It is not deadly if treated correctly and can sometimes be treated with just clean warm water and some TLC. But, if you Betta really does look like the fish in the picture then I reccomend you go on and do the conservative treatment.

•Symptoms: Betta’s fins and/or tail seem to be getting shorter and shorter or they seem to be falling apart and dissolving, Black or red along the edge of the betta’s fins/tail, Bloody tips, Behavior may not change
Treatment: Conservative: Treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Add Stress Coat to help repair tissue. If there is little to no improvement within the first 5 days, you can increase the salt dosage gradually to 2tsp/gal but do not continue any salt treatments past 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth.

My Betta just got through a bad case of Fin Rot and know his tail has almost completely regrown! All I did was the treatment above and kept the water nice and clean. I assume you have a heater?
Actually was going to go out and pick it up today along with aq salt and stress coat from petsmart? I wanted to upgrade him to a larger tank though so should I wait?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #5 
bahamut285

Saikisen, welcome to the forum.

Considering it is a video, I'm not sure which "third image" you mean, perhaps give me a time to pause at?

In any case, any responsible owner should have a 1 gallon Hospital tank to treat illnesses for the following reasons:

1) It is easy to dose many medications
2) It is easy to do 100% water changes and keep the water pristine
3) Your sick betta will not have to exert him/herself much while recovering

I recommend waiting until he is well to put him in his 5.5G. As Arctic pointed out, he should be able to recover with clean water and some AQ salt. Stresscoat+ is also very good for fin recovery. A heater (and thermometer) will also help him boost his immune system during his recovery

I hope he gets well soon!

Last edited by bahamut285; 01-05-2012 at 10:01 AM.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #6 
Saikisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Saikisen, welcome to the forum.

Considering it is a video, I'm not sure which "third image" you mean, perhaps give me a time to pause at?

In any case, any responsible owner should have a 1 gallon Hospital tank to treat illnesses for the following reasons:

1) It is easy to dose many medications
2) It is easy to do 100% water changes and keep the water pristine
3) Your sick betta will not have to exert him/herself much while recovering

I recommend waiting until he is well to put him in his 5.5G. As Arctic pointed out, he should be able to recover with clean water and some AQ salt. Stresscoat+ is also very good for fin recovery. A heater (and thermometer) will also help him boost his immune system during his recovery

I hope he gets well soon!
Sorry I didn't mention it sooner but pause at 0:50 in the video.
I just did the 100% change for today but didn't get a chance to pick up aq salt yet.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Just fin rot it's pretty common - but easy to heal and avoid. Clean water, is the best remedy. Next best, is AQ salt, usually for those who need a boost in healing factors and immune system.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

didnt mean to double post. computer glitched out on me -.-
good luck with your guy
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #9 
Saikisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Just fin rot it's pretty common - but easy to heal and avoid. Clean water, is the best remedy. Next best, is AQ salt, usually for those who need a boost in healing factors and immune system.

So I just got API aquarium salt and stress coat+.
How much should I add in for a 1/2 gallon?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #10 
bahamut285

I would add double dose Stresscoat+ and 1/2 teaspoon of AQ salt for now. Make sure to acclimate him slowly to the water chemistry and temperature~

I hope he recovers quickly!
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote