Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #1 
Tangeh

Bettas at vet's office o_O

I went in with my mom to the vet today to get my shih tzu's yearly shots & check up, and was pretty surprised by what I found there...

They had two bettas on either side of the counter... both veiltails, one was a blue cambodian and the other was an orange dal. Both in half filled 0.5 gal containers, unheated, unfiltered, and in filthy water. IN A VETS OFFICE.

The blue cambodian had fin rot, and was sulking in the corner. Pretty unresponsive to me. The orange dal looked healthier, he had built a bubble nest and was responsive. While I was watching him, I noticed he was flaring a lot... on closer inspection, this was because they had taped some sort of reflective stuff on the back of his "tank", and he was flaring at his reflection... SERIOUSLY?! Ughhh

I'm not sure whether or not this is an improvement from the two huge fancy goldfish they had before... in a five gal.

I wasn't brave enough to say anything directly, so I compromised by making loud comments like "wow, those are really small tanks. I would have thought animal professionals would know more about bettas!"

Even my mom noticed that the tanks were filthy, and I was proud of her for also making a loud comment about it! Lol

Anyways, yeah, pretty surprising. I'm glad this forum exists so that at least I know better! Makes me a little nervous to take my dog there, honestly.
Tangeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #2 
Pitluvs

Ha, I would have made such a fuss... they would have been upgrading as I walked out the door haha I'd love to see my vet full a prank like that. sadly, vet offices that don't specialize in fish really know just as much as pet store employees. I would send them a nice detailed letter about Betta fish care, or print off a nice brochure about Betta fish and give it to them. They may not know what they're doing is wrong :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

Pitluvs is right. Most vets know almost nothing about fish. There are very few vets around the country that will take fish as patients, too. I know of one vet within a day's drive from me that would take fish and he charges an arm and leg for it. I actually had my local vet ask me about fish once. They were trying to set up a pond out front and came to me for help.

Had that been me I would have pointed out their mistakes right then and there. But remember, they are people of science, so be sure to back up what you say with reputable sources.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #4 
Dragonlady

I would have pulled your vet to the side where no one else could hear and asked him a simple question. " How do you suggest fin rot is treated?"
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #5 
Tangeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Ha, I would have made such a fuss... they would have been upgrading as I walked out the door haha I'd love to see my vet full a prank like that. sadly, vet offices that don't specialize in fish really know just as much as pet store employees. I would send them a nice detailed letter about Betta fish care, or print off a nice brochure about Betta fish and give it to them. They may not know what they're doing is wrong :)
Hahaha, I'm not much of a confrontational person. :P Plus it seemed kind of rude for a teenager to go all off on an office full of vet assitants for improper animal care... though it would have been hilarious. xD Sending them a letter sounds nice though. :)

(By the way, I see you're from NS... I'm a bluenoser as well! :P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Pitluvs is right. Most vets know almost nothing about fish. There are very few vets around the country that will take fish as patients, too. I know of one vet within a day's drive from me that would take fish and he charges an arm and leg for it. I actually had my local vet ask me about fish once. They were trying to set up a pond out front and came to me for help.

Had that been me I would have pointed out their mistakes right then and there. But remember, they are people of science, so be sure to back up what you say with reputable sources.
It's so ironic! Poor fish, why are they never cared about? :( Seems nobody does research on them, then just flush 'em when they die and buy new ones. Seems most medication can just be bought in stores and treated pretty easily though, so I guess it makes sense that vets wouldn't have to know about fish... BUT STILL. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
I would have pulled your vet to the side where no one else could hear and asked him a simple question. " How do you suggest fin rot is treated?"
Hahahahaha now that is a good idea! "I noticed your betta has fin rot... mine does too, how do you treat yours? I personally use aquarium salt, but I wanted to know your professional opinion." hahaha I can just imagine.
Tangeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #6 
copperarabian

This reminds me of something my mom told me, she works as a counselor at critical care/kids with cancer hospital at Stanford, people come from all over the world to have their kids seen since it's one of the best children's hospitals in the world, yet they have a goldfish tank with dead goldfish in it O.O I don't think that parents who are waiting to see their critically injured or ill child be reminded of death :(
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangeh View Post
-snip-
It's so ironic! Poor fish, why are they never cared about? :( Seems nobody does research on them, then just flush 'em when they die and buy new ones. Seems most medication can just be bought in stores and treated pretty easily though, so I guess it makes sense that vets wouldn't have to know about fish... BUT STILL. xD
-snip-
I think it kinda goes back to the idea that many people think "It's just a fish." They don't see fish as real pets; they are viewed as disposable pets. If your molly dies, you can just go to the store and buy another one rather cheap. But if you cat dies, it is much more expensive to get another. Also things about the fur, and loving looks your furry pets can give you. Possibly also the life expectancy, too. Cats live about 12 years; fish can live that long if well cared for. The problem is most aren't. I think there was a thread around here about the "It's just a fish" mentality. So wrong, imho.

Also, the dead goldfish at a world-renowned cancer treatment facility is just wrong. That has to be the worst message to send to new patients.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #8 
registereduser

Our vet has a HUGE salt water tank in the middle of the waiting room filled with coral and gorgeous fish. Probably why their prices are so high
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:21 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

Quote:
I would have pulled your vet to the side where no one else could hear and asked him a simple question. " How do you suggest fin rot is treated?
I doubt they have a clue
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:52 AM   #10 
Silverfang

sounds like the betta that is kept at a store, in a vase, unheated, with a bamboo. Filthy, rot, was laying on it's side. Couldn't swim if it wanted to, a huge statue took up the entire vase.
Their comment "oh, he's not sick, he's just old, he's more than 5 years".

Uh huh...
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote