Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #1 
cmc123

New Betta owner- need help with white spots.. could it be his coloring/markings?

Hello everyone,
I am very new to Betta ownership, I just got my Betta at Christmas, and I am a little concerned. I have been researching if this is normal, but I thought I would get some advice from this forum. I have had him about 2 weeks, and first had him in a 1 gallon aquarium, well turns out it was defective so I had to buy a new one. So he is now living in a 3 gallon. He has these white patches on his face, they are not raised, and it sort of looks like his coloring, but I want to make sure it's not something else. Also he has a bump under his skin on his body that makes me worried. I will attach a pic. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I have researched and cannot find anything that looks like this so perhaps it is just his coloring/markings. Thanks in advance!!

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter?yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? just filter
Is your tank heated? YEs
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hakari Bio Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? new, just changed tanks yesterday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? new, just changed tanks yesterday, got him on Christmas
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner and API StressZyme

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? white spots on his face and his body has a bump, not sure if it is anything to be concerned about..
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no, he is very active and will flare when he sees his reflection.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Just got him and he had the spots when I got him..
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not to my knowledge.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No clue
Attached Images

cmc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....what a lovely fella you have......

To me it looks like normal pigment and the bump near his tail looks like the normal part of his anatomy called the caudal peduncle-and nothing to worry about...

On a 3gal filter tank-I would recommend 50% twice weekly water changes....1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method to maintain water quality
Filter media needs a rinse/swish in the bucket of old tank water a couple of times a month to maintain good water flow.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals

Look forward to hearing more about your Betta adventures.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

Are you talking about the whit spots on his head? I think that's his coloring.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #4 
cmc123

Yes, the white spots on his head are what I'm talking about. I thought it might coloring but once I started googling it I got scared that it was something else. I figured if it were some disease, there would be spots all over his body, but I wasn't sure. The pics of Ick and Velvet didn't look anything like his. Thanks for the info on the bump.. I wasn't sure what it was and I was worrying that it might be some kind of tumor.
cmc123 is offline   Reply With Quote