Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #1 
WineDarkSea

What is this stowaway on my anubias?

My male CT Valentine survived a nasty poisoning from a TopFin heater that leaked toxins. I promised him a 10 gallon tank if he pulled through, and now I am delighted to owe him one. I'm working on cycling/setting it up for him and decided to venture into the world of live plants. I tentatively bought my first one, an anubias, which I have quarantined.

It has this tiny fern-looking thing tangled with its roots. I circled it in the pic as well as sketching it out (in red) because it is so small. Can anyone tell me if that is a happy bonus plant or an evil weed?

Also, I understand that plants have to be quarantined because they can bring in unwanted snails, parasites, and bacteria. But...how can you tell? If the plant looks healthy after 2 or 3 weeks of QT, how do you know if it's carrying disease or organisms that might be harmful to fish?

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to offer advice.
Attached Images

WineDarkSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #2 
tpocicat

It looks a lot like Java Moss to me.

After 2 - 3 weeks, you should be able to see any snails that hitched a ride.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #3 
BettaMommy531rip

Make sure to quarantine all plants before you put them in with your fish then you will be able to see anything wrong with your plant. You said you had already quarantined it, maybe you should quarantine it more just to be sure.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #4 
WineDarkSea

Thank you both! Java moss. Now I have something to look up, thank you so much!

Yes, it's been QT'd for almost a week. I am going to keep it there for three. I floated it in plain ol' unconditioned tap water too in hopes of killing anything its got, and will probably do a vinegar soak.

Snails seem easy to watch for as they are visible to the naked eye. But how do you know whether it is carrying harmful parasites or bacteria at the end of the quarantine? Those can't be seen.
WineDarkSea is offline   Reply With Quote