Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #1 
EverythingNice55

Unhappy Popeye!! HELP!

Hi... I have a serious issue... Let me explain...

I noticed that at night, I heard a strange tapping noise coming from my male betta's (Mr. Jingles) tank. Since it was really late at night, I didn't check because I was tired. It happens every night. Then I noticed that he always sunk down to the bottom of the tank all the time and he wasn't eating! Then, last night I heard splashing. I looked at Mr. Jingles tonight and he has a big swollen eye! I think it's popeye! It's big and foggy. It looks like he can't see out of it! I think I know what I did wrong, though... At night, I keep forgetting to put a light on for Mr. Jingles so he can see where he's going, so he must have banged into a lot of things while I was sleeping. How do I treat popeye!? I have no idea!

Mr. Jingles was moved out of his original tank into a gold fish bowl because I got a whole bunch of female bettas as a gift, and I had no tank for one of those females so I had to move Mr. Jingles into a gold bowl until I get a new one. I was going to get a new one today, but if I shouldn't do that while his sick, I won't. The water is tap water. I (of course) put water conditioner in it and I put the water in a bottle, and let it sit for a few weeks before use. For decorations I have a little cave that I made myself, a plastic plant, and a few little rocks. Mr. Jingles was never sick before. I got him last year. I feed him little pellet things and blood worms every day, which is two meals a day.

I have a few questions:
1. Can I do a water change if Mr. Jingles is sick?
2. Is there anything I can do to help, or does popeye go away naturally?
3. Can I put him in a new tank?

If I don't figure out how to cure popeye, he could die! I don't want that, so please help, even if it's a little tip! He's not looking so well! Please help! Thanks! -EV55
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Fish have what is called a lateral line-it is used somewhat like echo location and no lights at night shouldn't be an issue...

To treat popeye-I use Epsom salt 3tsp/gal, tannins and water changes in QT for 10-14 days....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #3 
EverythingNice55

Ohhh! Thanks so much!
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
popeye