Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #1 
Devanta

New to tank tech

Heyo, I've recently moved and my new home is much colder than my parents house, and my boys are cold. I've never used heaters before, but now is looking like the time to start! Do I have to have square tanks to use them? Also, which ones should I use? I have five boys, and I'm looking to upgrade four of them (the fifth lives in the kitchen, so he's nice and cozy ^.^). I don't mind moving them into real tanks. I think I'm going to with my oldest angel anyway.

But I'm looking for suggestions for heaters and tanks. Which ones are awesome, what ones to avoid, how to care for them, etc. Please and thank you all!!
Devanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

I think the best thing in your case would be two get two 10 gal tanks and divide them into 5 gal sections. This would cut down on the numbers of lights, filters, and heaters you would need. It would also reduce the number of water changes you need to do in a week. If your one boy is happy and warm in the kitchen, then let him stay there.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #3 
Devanta

Definitely leaving Valesh where he's happy :) It makes me sad that my other boys are not happy though u.u I'm actually just doing up the math on what the tanks, dividers, and heaters are going to cost. I might start off with just one and see what happens. Any suggestions for filters or heaters? I'm going into this so blind that its not even funny. I think I've been on the phone with the petsmart girl (Alyssa, epic girl ^.^) for an hour now trying to work out what would be best for Mahlik and Arez.

What ones do you use? that's always a good place to start :)
Old 01-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

I have just a basic 10 gal glass tank. I bought the tank and hood combo. It was a long time ago, so I don't think the prices are consistent. For heaters I like either Aqueon Pro and Fluval. I use both (one in each tank). For a filter, I opted for a bubble filter instead of the typical power filters because bubble filters produce much less movement. For a divider, I made my own using a DIY tutorial. It's so easy a caveman could do it. Really. Tank Dividers @ petfish.net This was the tutorial I used.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #5 
Devanta

Can you explain cycling to me? I keep coming across the term, and looked up what it is and now Im just...confused. :l Its kind of scaring me to be honest
Old 01-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #6 
bastage

I wouldnt do 2x 10g tanks.. Cost wise (even if you already have 1) it would be more then dividing a 20 gallon long. The tank itself would be more, but the tank will cost less then a decent heater & then you would only need 1 heater & filter.

This is my 20 Long a few months ago when I 1st set it up. That picture doesn't show it well, but I have a Internal filter at the far end & used 1/2" inner diameter tube & ran the water return from the filter to the close end (in the back corner) so there is a constant light current in the tank (doesn't bother any of the boys & lotsa bubble nest's). The heater is also below the filter so that the warm water gets pumped to the other end of the tank..

Overall cost was about 75 bucks or so not including the light (the one on there was a leftover from another tank & I eventually added a double t6 fixture for plants).
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanta View Post
Can you explain cycling to me? I keep coming across the term, and looked up what it is and now Im just...confused. :l Its kind of scaring me to be honest
No worries. Cycling isn't something you often come across in betta-keeping.

Fish produce ammonia as a waste product (all living things make waste products). Ammonia is toxic to fish, but luckily they have developed a symbiotic relationship with bacteria that make ammonia into nitrIte (still toxic) and then into nitrAte (the least toxic).

When we "cycle'' a tank we are building up populations of these good bacteria to detoxify our fish's waste so we don't have to make bi-weekly water changes. I highly recommend getting an aquarium test kit to cycle a tank and test your tank daily while cycling it. First, you will see a spike in ammonia. When you see this come down, it means the bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrIte have formed a strong colony. Then you will see a spike in nitrIte. As this comes down, you know the bacteria that convert nitrIte to nitrAte are present in your aquarium. Once you begin to see a rise in nitrAtes, then you know your aquarium has cycled.

These good bacteria will easily survive a water changed provided you don't let the entire tank dry out. These good bacteria live on all hard surfaces in aquariums. Rocks, walls, decor, and plants. Those "bacteria in a bottle" products at pet stores may sound like a blessing, but they're mostly a waste of money.

Feel free to let us know if you have any more questions. We're here to help you and your fishies!

Tags
beginner, heater, tank