Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #21 
Jayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKai View Post
Angels can be in 29g tanks. They need a minimum of an 18" height tank. They DO NOT need to be in schools. They may school in the wild, but they are territorial fish. The only way that I would ever have 6 angelfish in a tank is if 1. I knew what sex they were and only got females and 2. I had a 150g+ tank. If they pair off then they will get EXTREMELY aggresive and might kill every fish in their sight. One would be good for a 30g tank. They won't be as aggressive with just one of them, and it is plenty big.

Like I said before, they need 29g tanks at the minimum. One or even two, if cories were the only other thing in there, would be a nice fit and well stocked.

I would still suggest cichlids, they are very intelligent and very fun to have. I love them, and would be great with schoolers like rasboras and danios that everyone are talking about. Even some of the dwarf rainbows would be a great addition as well.

Another note: Cories do much better in groups of 6. I had my peppered cories in a group of 4 to begin with and they were semi-interesting, but as soon as I added more they got more playful and happy. I would suggest a 6 min on them. And in that tank size I would suggest 8 or so of the pandas or juliis/false juliis. For the larger kind such as the emerald, peppered, and albino I would do 6 and call the bottom good, especially if you get a ram or apisto.
Soo what your really saying that the profile and bryon are wrong, which is highly unlikely. What we said is based on proven fact. There is a 50/50 chance that you'll end up with a breeding pair, to to the fact that angels are only sexable during spawning. And yes, they do school and the wild and to make them as comfortable as possible, we try to recreate this. This also helps with aggression. It is true that they do better in tall tanks, but in terms of size a full grown angel will have more space to swim in a 55, then 29. Maybe even a 60 gal since is the same lenght width as a 55, but taller. You also have to keep on mind that whlie they are "tall" fish, they don't swim up and down.

Last edited by Jayy; 01-06-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #22 
AquaKai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
Soo what your really saying that the profile and bryon are wrong, which is highly unlikely. What we said is based on proven fact. There is a 50/50 chance that you'll end up with a breeding pair, to to the fact that angels are only sexable during spawning. And yes, they do school and the wild and to make them as comfortable as possible, we try to recreate this. This also helps with aggression.
Why yes I am. Call me bold but I have some evidence. These are post from VERY experienced breeders and angelfish keepers.
Here's a few of my reasons:
I agree, I'd go even further and say that 2 spawning pairs in a 90 is pushing it.

People usually get these fish when they are small, they see them schooling around in the pet store tank and think that they behave this way normally. Unfortunately as they grow up they (like most other fish) lose their schooling behavior and can become aggressive, especially the males when they pair up.

Yeah, they are not really true schoolers like most tetras are. They are territorial fish. Not to mention I would not put 6 angels in a 55g for the long haul. But, fishkeeping yields multiple results and differing opinions. I think you were quite right in suggest an angel or 2 for that tank. JMO.

They do school together, but they are not true schoolers. Since they break up and defend their own territories as part of breeding, thats what makes them not "true schoolers." But yes, they do indeed school together. Good point.

Sorry if I'm partially stepping out of line with this, but I have experience on my side with this.
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #23 
Sena Hansler

I've never thought angels to school... Most of the "schools" I have seen are tattery because of one dominant angel...
I've always been told by angel keepers, fish keepers, etc to have a minimum of all minimum 40 gallons as they do get to a nice size (not huge like oscars though! =D ) but more is better

I think maybe it is because no one wants to keep ONE fish in a 29... because of the angel's aggression, they'd rather more space, if you wanted other fish so there is less of a problem, then there would be in a 29. Not saying as in fact. Just an opinion.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote