Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #1 
Pucky21811

Rubber Puck safe for bowl?

Today I went to a hockey game at my school and nearly caught a hockey puck with my head. Nearly. Well, it landed right behind me so I scooped it up.

I was wondering-if I washed it well enough-would it be safe to put in my bowl with my boy, (Hockey) Puck himself? Would the rubber be bad for him? Especially if I use AQ salts, which I do frequently because he has constant fin rot.

Let me know :) Thanks!
Pucky21811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #2 
Gloria

WOW!! that would have been scary!! Good to know it didnt get you..
I am really sorry but I have no idea. Hopefully someone will come one who may know. You could try googling it too, but before you do anything Id what to see what others on the forum may think :)
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #3 
kfryman

If no one knows I would rather be safe than sorry though. I know that the hockey pucks are a very hard plastic.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:07 AM   #4 
Gloria

kfryman is right, if you can't get anyone to give you an answer or something it'd be safer to pass on the idea. You don't want it leeching anything into your boys tank. You could always sit it just outside, leaning against the tank?!
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #5 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
kfryman is right, if you can't get anyone to give you an answer or something it'd be safer to pass on the idea. You don't want it leeching anything into your boys tank. You could always sit it just outside, leaning against the tank?!
I think if not inside, then outside will also be nice. He can still look at it just not touch it.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #6 
kfryman

Ok I searched it and people were not sure on it, but you CAN thinly coat it in an aquarium safe sealant. I don't know if you want to go threw the trouble of getting it smooth and thin. Just thought I would let you know.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #7 
Pucky21811

Thanks you guys! It was a scary few seconds; thank goodness my friend wasn't in her seat. Yeah, I was worried whether it would be safe or not. Its been soaking in warm water overnight in a container, and I think I'll just leave it on the outside. Besides, his brother Zamboni would probably be jealous. :) Thank you again!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #8 
Thunderloon

its vulcanized rubber and I don't think it'll be an issue in the long term but I'd suggest soaking it in a salt solution for a few days then giving it a nice long boil in basket.

While the pucks are generally kept colder than cold I've had circumstances where the vulcanization then reverts and oils come out of some rubber materials... even a lego wheel did this to me once.

It is a reasonably safe risk to put it in after you sterilize it, not any more a hazard than an electric heater or store bought plants.

The only remaining concern would be that it will begin to hold denitrification bacteria... NOT a bad thing mind you, it will just produce a protein slime, so occasionally taking it out for a quick boiling wouldn't be a bad idea.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #9 
Pucky21811

Sorry for the delay; thank you very much everyone! I appreciate the tips and if I ever do put it in there I will sterilize it. For now, it will stay outside of Puck's bowl. :)
Old 01-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

I try to avoid anything rubber... Unless it says aquarium safe because of so many horror stories of rubbers and even plastics leaching oils and chemicals into the water :O what I found is safe, is some glass, lego blocks (asides from ones with the faces stickered or painted on), some ceramic, and some types of wood.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote