Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #31 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlesmania View Post
hey, I'm hoping somebody can get me an answer asap as I'm about to clean my bettas tank.
I have a 3.7L tank and I'm not sure how much water conditioner I should put it. I've tried googling it and going on the Nutrafin website, but I can't seem to find anything PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Thanks!
Hello Beatles,

It depends on how strong your water conditioner is. It usually says it on the bottle somewhere. For example it will say "1 capful for 10 Gallons". 3.7L is just under 1 Gallon so you have to use a tenth of the cap. Let me know if you need any further math help to figuring it out properly :)
Old 12-26-2011, 09:51 PM   #32 
Virux

A note about plants: It's pretty hard to calculate exactly how many plants you need to use up your nitrates, but A good way to sort of figure out an an an optimum fish/plant ratio that I have used is this:

In a cycled (or very small and therefore nearly uncyclable tank)

Buy some easy, fast growing plants. Anacharis (also called Elodea) is very cheap, super hardy, and just the right kind of plant. Buy one "bunch" of plants per inch of fish in your tank, slightly less if you have a well-stocked tank. Rinse the plants well with some tap water a few times, and then rinse with some treated water or old tank water. Plant the plants in your tank substrate, and do your normal routine. For the next few weeks, watch the plants closely, and do NOT use fertilizer of any kind. Test your water and compare your results to your normal schedule.

If your plants explode with growth and look fabulous for a bit, and then kinda level out, you should try adding one or two more plants. Do the same if you notice that in your tests, your nitrates are not lower than usual, or lower than usual but not by very much, and you feel the plants haven't helped much.

If your nitrates have dropped nicely ( they probably will never end up being zero however, except right after a water change) , congrats, you've gotten it close to right! You can add more plants or plants of other varieties if you like, but if you put too many plants in your tank, you'll have to add a little fertilizer of some kind to feed them, since the fish and bacteria won't produce enough nitrate/other things they need to grow.

If your plants go totally insane and do not stop, either buy more plants or take some little cuttings from your little Elodeas and plant them.

If your plants die, or get sickly/yellow/pale, they are not receiving something they need. Perhaps the water is too salty, snails are chowing on them, or they aren't getting enough light. Give your little planties 12 hrs ish of light a day, and 12 hours dark-- they need the dark time, too. Plants use photosynthesis to generate energy during the day, but also burn this energy (Read: grow and make leaves, etc) during the night... so don't give them only dark or only light. Aquarium plants benefit from a grow light or plant light... but they might also be fine with ambient light, or a little sunlight (not direct sun, which can overheat your tank, but sun that comes through the window and still manages to light the tank a bit)

I suggest using Elodea for this only because it is so cheap and hardy, and will grow from cuttings easily. You could also use other plants that are hardy and grow fast. Look up "plant cycling" or "Silent cycling" and use plants that they recommend for that, if you like, because plant-cycling plants all grow fast and in accordance with water parameters.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #33 
wnppmy

How small can you go and still get some type of established environment. I'm using a Marimo Moss and Floating fern, bowl now has green algae, Betta, 2 Ghost Shrimp and recent Pond Snail. My lighting is over 16 hours, perhaps reason for the algae? Water is clear, non filtered, realize filtered better but experimenting. Water temp slightly cool up to 76 degrees, 73 evening, light as heater. Again heater better, but all part of my experiment.
Also water change, is lower, 50 percent, then 25, should be more and often, mines 5 days to week, effort to establish. Against the norm, attempt to form a cycle of sort. I don't suggest this, but it's been favorable so far.

Last edited by wnppmy; 01-07-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #34 
bahamut285

@Virux and wnppmy: This is strictly a plant-less guide. Please keep it that way

@wnppmy: My only guess could be excess phosphates.
Closed Thread