Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #1 
twinjupiter

Talking It's Project Betta Sorority Saturday!

So this is what happens when I actually do get enough sleep and have too much coffee in the morning.
Did a full substrate change on my sorority, got two new girls (a purple/red/blue/white marble, and a yellow grizzle girl with a light blue flash), three panda corydoras, and several new plants.
The sorority as of earlier this morning:

The sorority as of now:

The water is still a bit hazy, but not as bad as if I had bought Floura-max instead of sticking with Eco-Complete.

The plants are as follows:
Water sprite, micro sword, argentine sword, ozelot sword, cardnial plant, corkscrew vals, anubias barteri, and hornwort
And lastly the two newbies:
Echo, marble VT. She just would not hold still.

And the yellow grizzle VT, who I am having trouble deciding on names:

Name ideas so far:
Tethys, Pandora, Fenrir, Maunt, Bellows, Tipler, and Pallene. (yeah, i kinda like planetary names)
twinjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #2 
Maple

It really was sorority Saturday! I worked on mine too. I love the look of your dark substrate with the plants. It will be nice to see it once it`s all clear. My tank looks terrible at the moment, but I`m waiting on plants.

I like your name ideas too.
Maple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #3 
twinjupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple View Post
It really was sorority Saturday! I worked on mine too. I love the look of your dark substrate with the plants. It will be nice to see it once it`s all clear. My tank looks terrible at the moment, but I`m waiting on plants.

I like your name ideas too.
Thanks! It is a special substrate meant for aquatic plants called Eco-Complete. I like it better then Flora-Max because unlike flora-max it doesn't cloud the water that much.
For comparison, here is my 55 gal after switching gravel substrate for two bags of flora max and two of eco-complete. This is AFTER rinsing it for four hours:

As for my grizzle girl, I think she looks like a Pandora.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #4 
twinjupiter

Tank has cleared a bit more.
This is a picture from last night. More to come as I find time :)

Old 01-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #5 
betta lover1507

aww i LOVE you girls >-< someday am going to buy a 10 gallon and have ONLY female betta's in it, and leave the community alone :P but my parents will think it is a waste of space, because one of my girls are in a community with my brothers two females with 2 angel fish, 2 gouramies (they fight all the time, but my brother refuses to seperate them), and 1 glofish.
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #6 
Fawnleaf

Wow! You have a beautiful tank! I might steal it... >.> LOL I had a sorority but all the fighting really stressed me out so I switched to a community. I think I just didn't have enough cover. :/ Your's is stunning!
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #7 
twinjupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawnleaf View Post
Wow! You have a beautiful tank! I might steal it... >.> LOL I had a sorority but all the fighting really stressed me out so I switched to a community. I think I just didn't have enough cover. :/ Your's is stunning!
Thank you! The only girl i got who really had a problem with everyone else ended up in my 55gal community. Really gave her the whole "Big fish little pond. Now, big fish meet ocean" idea when she encountered my mellow bala sharks.... hilarious to say the least.
I added all the girls at the same time, save Cassiopiea who was introduced while still in the bag from the petstore... I think the reason her introduction went so smoothly was because when she was first introduced, the bag maintained some kind of "magical force field" and everyone decided before she ever entered the tank that she was untouchable.
I havent had any problems with the last two girls because they were added back into the tank after the substrate change, at the same time as everyone else. Echo flared a bit to show she was no push over, and no-one seemed to care or challenge her. I don't think she is alpha/dominant or whatever, i just think she wanted to make sure she wouldn't get picked on. As far as i can tell, there isnt a girl who is beneath or above everyone else in the tank. Everyone is fine with everyone else, so currently i have a balanced sorority.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #8 
twinjupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
aww i LOVE you girls >-< someday am going to buy a 10 gallon and have ONLY female betta's in it, and leave the community alone :P but my parents will think it is a waste of space, because one of my girls are in a community with my brothers two females with 2 angel fish, 2 gouramies (they fight all the time, but my brother refuses to seperate them), and 1 glofish.
Just wait til you get your own place. I currently live with my boyfriend, my three tanks, our dog, and three roommates in a four bedroom house on 3/4 acre of land. It is kinda awesome how much room i have to expand my fish/animal collection :D
If it weren't for my boyfriend bringing me back to reality, I would have like 17 10gal-120 gal planted tanks filled with all kinds of fish, on top of a ton of dogs and cats and parrots, while I myself starved.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #9 
ldoerr

I love your tank. I too have a sorrorety tank. Mine is a 10g with 6 females. 3 of the females were just added today and there seems to be no fighting. Most of the females are not named yet.
ldoerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gal, new girls, plants, sorority