Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #1 
drewdigg

Feeding Betta

I just have a general question about feeding the betta. I am using pellets. From what I understand you are supposed to remove the food if it doesn't look like he's going to eat it. So I've been using a net to scoop them out before they drop to the gravel where I won't be able to find them. Is this the correct way to do it? How long should I let them float before I try to scoop them out? I've had him for a few days and I did manage to feed him a couple of pellets yesterday that unexpectedly sunk right away in front of him and he grabbed them before they hit the bottom.
drewdigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #2 
Ayane Hajinmon

i fed mine 3-5 pellet per day depending on the size
Ayane Hajinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #3 
Banicks

Hi Drew,

Betta’s stomachs are the size of their eye generally. A bigger Betta may eat more than a smaller one, I usually try and consider how active they are. For example, a lethargic large betta may require equal or less pellets compared to a hyper small betta. This activity and metabolism can be affected by temperature – warmer tank water will generally mean a higher metabolism and active betta.

I have a large and small betta, Slevin and Victor respectively. I do not exceed 8 pellets per day. I usually try and feed morning and afternoon at the same time period, surprisingly they know when it is getting close to food time. Slevin gets 4 pellets per feed and Victor gets 3 per feed. However I may reduce that amount in the afternoon feed if I see their stomachs are still large.

I have only experienced one rejection of food by Victor when he was stressed, I left the pellets in the tank for 15 minutes – didn’t sink and then scooped them out. The only negative to leaving them in a tank to rot is an increase in ammonia levels, so you are doing the right thing by scooping them out before they are eaten and/or sink.

By the sound of it, the pellets may not be to his liking if he is refusing on occasions. Stress or other factors may be playing a part as well. What kind of pellets are you feeding?
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote