Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #91 
Tikibirds

So I gave in tonight and got one of the babies...
I probably shouldn't have but I went with the logic that he/she is better off with me - then sitting in the store. She survived the trip to Alaska, I think she may survive the trip out. I have heat packs and she seems healthy.

This is a really BAD pic...She is kinda clamped in the pic but she isn;t in real life

Big Fish, Little Fish. Rarity ate one too many bloodworms >.<

I wonder what "she" will turn out to be?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #92 
registereduser

What does it mean when they "clamp"? Mine is doing that ever since I changed 1/3 of the tank water a few days ago. She is still very active and eating but clamped up a lot of the time.

I was at my local PetCo yesterday and they have a whole new shipment of babies and several of them were dead :(

PS I did use water conditioner and the water temp never changed.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #93 
bettalover2033

@Tikibirds: they are pretty cute though i hope you are planning on getting bigger tanks for them.

@Registereduser: well the term clamp is when a betta or several bettas have their fins "closed." The fins will not appear to be on the body because they are so close to it and they will not flare or extend any fins if the fish is clamping them. Search on google qnd type in "clamped betta".
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #94 
gossipgirl1031

Cute new baby! I haven't seen anymore of the babies since before Christmas. I'm sure as the new year realy settles in, there will be more. My little ones are growing so fast! I have a few already that would be ready to go to their "forever" homes.
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:17 AM   #95 
Misakitty

Today Sasha was dark instead of light. I apologize for the picture quality, he/she doesn't hold still very well. I'm trying to figure out what the vertical stripes are, if it's possible that Sasha is a she and already displaying breeding stripes? It's still smaller than an inch, but I'm not familiar with how early bettas reach sexual maturity size-wise. Until today Sasha was pale with the two stripes that most of the babies on this thread have.
Misakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:26 AM   #96 
bettalover2033

Well shes pretty and has a nice tank. The male in the back is what is triggering the verticle bars. Bettas become of sexual maturity at at young as 3-4 months of age but isnt wise to breed then around this time.

Though you should know that those verticle bard are just signs of being submissive and can be displayed on males as well at such young ages. I belive she is a female though because from the looks of it...she is next to a males tank which is probably flaring at her and making her want to breed ect. Her dorsal fin is also very far back from the head and she seems to have no ventral fins from what im observing in the picture. All signs of female.
Posted via Mobile Device
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:40 AM   #97 
Misakitty

The ventral fins are there, they just pull up when Sasha is moving. Is it normal for them to change colors overnight from light to dark? When I was changing the water earlier she went back to light again immediately which I assumed was stress, but she became as dark as before again shortly after. This has all been exciting seeing what Sasha would grow up into.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #98 
Sakura8

I've been haunting my Petco for weeks now and they still haven't gotten any babies in. I'm happy but I'm sad.

Misa, yup, it's usually normal. Bettas get real pale when they're stressed so if your baby darkened up overnight, it means it's happy and warm.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #99 
Misakitty

This may be a silly question, but how early do juvenile bettas typically start to flare? Is it different for males and females? I've only raised livebearer fry before, so this is all new to me.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #100 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I've been haunting my Petco for weeks now and they still haven't gotten any babies in. I'm happy but I'm sad.

Misa, yup, it's usually normal. Bettas get real pale when they're stressed so if your baby darkened up overnight, it means it's happy and warm.
At my PetCo the babies aren't displayed with the older fish, they are on the opposite side of the aquatics area on and end cap.

My girl is still clamped but active and eating. I cleaned her entire tank last night. Getting a water test kit today.

Are water changes the only way to control ammonia?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta