Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2012, 02:05 AM   #1 
Seager1991

Looking for tips and advice

Hello everyone, my names Zach incase you havn't seen my introdution thread, this is the first fish I've owned since I was ten years ,im 20 now living on my own which is why I decided to build a tank. So I have him in a tank the pet store convinced me to buy but from what ive been told its way to small plus I dont like it. Its 0.9 gallons, no heater or filter, even I know its a sad hell hole for a betta, next pay check Im fixing that. But right now, Im just looking for tips and advice on how to raise my betta to be happy and to give him a long life since ive always loved fish and hes beautiful. Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated, along with what kinda food should only be a treat and what do I do if he hates his pellets, ive only had him about 30 hours but ive noticed he refuses to eat them unless he decideds to eat one and thats all he'll eat. Even then it has to sink to the bottom for him to even be interested and keep in mind that took a few hours :(
Seager1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #2 
Ayane Hajinmon

give him some time to get use to his new home/tank...Alpha didnt even eat anything on his first day and hide behind the filter all day...
Ayane Hajinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:16 AM   #3 
Seager1991

Amazingly I will say hes not shy. He loves when people put there fingers up to the glass and pay attention to him. Also I dont know if its possible I got him friday night, and saturday afternoon when I woke up his colors seemed to have brightened intensely, but like I said I dont know if its possible, he also likes to show off and flare up any chance he gets when alot of people are looking at him it seems, I nm put 3 pictures of him on my post in the picture section if youd like to see him, I still need a permanent name for him.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #4 
Mavi

Generally a dramatic scenery change will change their eating habits. Colin, my VT, didn't eat for three days after I brought him home but now begets all excited when I shake his pellet container.
As for what makes them live longer there was this study done which suggests that a restricted caloric intake will extend their lives (it was tested on worms and rats but I'm pretty sure it applys to fish to) the study showed that rats with a restricted caloric intake lived longer than their counterparts who although not at all overweight had a higher caloric intake and higher amount of exercise to burn these calories.
Mavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #5 
Banicks

Welcome Seager,

You will find many of the stickies around here will outline great ways to ensure your Betta stays happy and healthy.

As for recommendations, I can put forward for a water conditioner - API Stress Coat+. Food - Hikari Bio Gold Betta pellets. It won't be necessary for you to purchase the best of the best, a nice sized tank, a decent heater, internal/floating thermometer, good food, good water conditioner, and lots of hidey holes/decorations will mean a happy Betta.

Other than that, keep up with a good schedule of water changes. For the 0.9 sized tank you current have I would recommend 100% daily. This means temporarily housing him in a mug when you clean out his tank, then placing back in.

Depending what sized tank you go for to upgrade, will dictate your water change cycle. As an example, I have a 6g tank and a 5.5g tank - I am able to undertake a weekly 100%. Generally half a day later they're both happy lads building new bubble nests.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #6 
Seager1991

I put a picture of my new tank under the picture section, but if hes swiming like crazy and is hyper as... Does that mean hes happy? But I did notice, ive only had the tank since yesterday, but no bubble net.. :(