Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #1 
Andarial

Need Opinions about Changing Filter

Hey guys, I'm new here, I am on the sister site Tropical Fish Keeping, and just got my first betta. Though technically I have had bettas that were the family's this is my first that has only belonged to me. I originally had him in a 2.5 gallon with plastic plants and a moss ball... and then decided I wanted to upgrade (just because I love upgrading and felt he needed a bigger tank XD) So I got a 5 gallon eclipse hex 5 by marineland. So anyway everything was going great it has all real plants and real wood and everything, it's gorgeous, but then I found out the filter is waaaaaaaaay too powerful.

The filter is constantly sucking and pushing him to and fro. So I got a super micro filter sponge to put over the intake and made a baffle out of a water bottle. But the way my outflow is made the baffle doesn't work .___. of course. So it's still pushing him enough that he can't swim and he is wedging himself under a piece of wood, not really worried about him getting hurt more about him getting stressed. He seems tired and stressed and so I am thinking about changing the filter to my Small World Filter, the one I had in the 2.5 gallon. I know for sure it has a gentle flow and it won't bother him. I just don't know if it's good enough to filter the entire tank.

For now I don't have enough money to buy a new filter so I was thinking of doing a temporary fix with it? I can just do more partial water changes right? I dunno I just don't think its safe to keep the other filter in. What do you guys think?

P.S. Sorry for the long post, they always seem to be longer then I mean to make them.
Andarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

IMO-filters are optional with Bettas and along with the live plants-depending on species, number and growth state they can function as filtration....you could either remove the filter all together or use the smaller filter that you have....water changes wouldn't really change all that much-again depending on the plants.....

What species and number of live plants, type of light, age of bulb, kelvin, watts and photoperiod....and type of substrate and how deep....

Can you post a pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #3 
Andarial

Thanks for answering so quickly <3

I have about six plants, a algae moss that I don't know the name off .___. I can take a pic of it though if you want, a mariamo moss ball, a bleheni I think is it's name, anacharis (which I hope to replace with water sprite), a crypt with reddish stems which I can also take a pic of, and a micro sword. I chose all of these because the light requirements on the stick said they needed low to moderate light but who knows how reliable they are XD. The only one I worry about is the bleheni.

My lighting is an ultrasun, 6500k, 10watt, 5", Super Daylight Mini Compact. I only have one, but I don't know how to find a photoperiod. The age of the bulb is like 5 days or so... The tank is new, but I have good parameters (I have been testing it) and I seeded it with my old 2.5 gallon stuff.

The substrate is ... gravel I don't know how big probably a little smaller than pea gravel and is maybe an 1-2 inches deep.

PICTURE ^^:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...A/DSCF0224.jpg

There is just some anacharis floating at the top now because I was recommended to do that by Byron
Old 01-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I am not sure what this one is bleheni-do you have any other names on the package..and I agree with Byron in that anacharis is fine floating or rooted

Your lights sound perfect....photoperiod is how long you keep your lights on
Old 01-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #5 
Andarial

Sorry I meant to say Bleheri XD I didn't catch it though Echinodorus bleheri, it's a type of Amazon sword. I don't know if it will stay small enough for my tank though. If not I might make a cutting of my melon sword if I can figure out how, it's pretty small.

The photoperiod is 8 hours, that's what all my tanks are on.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Okay...it might out grow the 5gal-with my swords I pinch back the larger leaves on a regular basis to keep them more compact-but the roots on swords can get out of control sometimes....lol.....usually with swords once they are happy will send out daughter plants that you can propagate.
Also, with sword plants-be sure and have the crown slightly above the substrate...it better to plant too shallow than too deep with them...when I plant mine-I cram the trimmed root ball into the substrate and then give them a slight tug to bring the crown above the substrate.

For live plants I would recommend starting at 10hr/day PP and then increase to 12h/day based on plant growth and problem algae...

Your tank looks nice by the way....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 01-10-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #7 
Andarial

Thanks ^^ The reason I only have 8 hours is because I have hairgrass algae growing in one of my tanks and this tank is right by the window. Byron suggested I decrease from 9 to 8, because of the hairgrass algae. They are all on the same timer. Do you think I should change the timing again? Finally turned off the filter by the way, like you suggested and am getting ready to switch over the filter as soon as he looks less stressed.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

With live plants...its a balance...you have to give the plants the tools to out compete algae for nutrients and light....with hair algae I have found that often one of the cause its the light too close or too high watts, old light bulbs or the partition between the light and water is dirty....in my case it always seemed like it was more due to light penetration or lights too close....hair algae is not uncommon but it sure can be a pain especially when its is wrapped in moss....lol.....manual weekly removal and playing with the lights is what I do to keep it controlled.....
Old 01-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #9 
Andarial

I have removed most of the stuff, I think it was because my water got dirty while I was away for the christmas break, and no one did the water change for me. I am trying to get stuff under control. I have algae discs built up near the melon sword which is the one covered in hair grass algae. I think mom overfed the algae eaters in that tank. So I am working on trying to vacuum it out. She says "they look so hungry" and I say... "Mom they are fish they always look hungry" .___.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #10 
Andarial

After I turned off the filter I left to go to my lfs to get some water sprite (came back with some duckweed instead) and came back to Pallet swimming around 8D he is dancing for me again and posing for the camera. Here's some horrible pictures of him XD sorry my camera is so bad. He is no longer hanging out at the bottom and loves the addition of the duckweed. I added the new small world filter and we will see how he does. First impressions is that the current isn't too strong for him. YAY

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...A/DSCF0231.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...A/DSCF0232.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...A/DSCF0233.jpg