Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #11571 
Scruffy Nerfherder

I. Hate. Children. I know that makes me sound like a horrible person, but I really dislike kids. These days, there is no discipline. Even worse, parents try to reason with them! You cannot reason with a child's brain with adult standards! It hasn't developed that far! I remember a time when a kid didn't dare yell at an adult. Why? They'd get bopped in the chops. Now-a-days, it "hurts the child's self-esteem" to be disciplined, so now you have a bunch of spoiled brats running around annoying the heck out of everybody else. I can't be the only one who feels the urge to football-punt one of these little monsters across a store, can I?

EDIT: Upon reading this, I sound like I'm in my 60s or 70s, waving a cane. I'm only going to be 27!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I know the feeling. Broken computer? My fault. Water on the kitchen floor? My fault. Full hamper? My fault. Grrr!
Do what my mom did:

"The hamper's full!"

"Good. While you're emptying it, get my laundry, too. You're obviously the laundry expert, so now it's your job. Congratulations, Laundry Boy."

Last edited by dramaqueen; 01-11-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Scruffy Nerfherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #11572 
mardi

I don't necessarily "hate" children; but I don't plan to have any of my own any time soon. I can't speak on discipline; but I do know that I was able to be reasoned with before the age of five. I was quite the curious child, and if my parents wouldn't tell me something, I'd find a way to figure it out. My parents actually reasoned with me to get me off my pacifier. There was a little bird outside my window, with a nest and they basically told me that if I gave up my pacifier, they'd give it to one of the baby birds; I had no qualms with giving up my pacifier for that cause. lol

And FYI- we're the same age, so no worries about sounding old; if you are, i'm right there with you. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy Nerfherder View Post
I. Hate. Children. I know that makes me sound like a horrible person, but I really dislike kids. These days, there is no discipline. Even worse, parents try to reason with them! You cannot reason with a child's brain with adult standards! It hasn't developed that far! I remember a time when a kid didn't dare yell at an adult. Why? They'd get bopped in the chops. Now-a-days, it "hurts the child's self-esteem" to be disciplined, so now you have a bunch of spoiled brats running around annoying the hell out of everybody else. I can't be the only one who feels the urge to football-punt one of these little monsters across a store, can I?

EDIT: Upon reading this, I sound like I'm in my 60s or 70s, waving a cane. I'm only going to be 27!

Last edited by mardi; 01-10-2012 at 11:27 PM.
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #11573 
Jodah

you can't use that name! only we can!

lol. I totally agree with ya Scruffy. I'm 26 and the kids these days are out of control. Heck, my dad would gibb's slap me any time i said "these ones" instead of "these" for example.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #11574 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm another one who doesn't really like kids. When I was growing up and said a 4 letter word my mouth got washed out with soap. I also got my share of spankings and it didn't damage me. And why do kids not sit properly in restaurants? They sit with their legs tucked under them instead of sitting on their behind like they're supposed to. And parents let them run wild in restaurants. If they cause a waiter to trip and spill hot food on them guess who is going to get sued?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #11575 
Scruffy Nerfherder

Exactly! Just look at the behavior of kids in public schools within California. When I was in middle school, if a teacher threatened to call your parents, you could feel yourself go pale. Because you knew that if she made that call, you were a dead man. See, my dad never had to spank me much, and only did it when I really deserved it. But I knew he was willing to do it, so I listened. For instance, in kindergarten, I climbed on top of a table and chucked glue bottles at kids and teachers alike... and then dad walked in, mid-throw. To this day, he says I had that deer-in-the-headlights look. I was stone-cold busted, and I knew it. After a little "discussion" outside, dad brought me back in, made me apologize to the teachers and every kid in the class, and I sat down and didn't cause any more trouble that year.

There is a difference between spanking and beating your kids. Modern society has somehow forgotten this.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #11576 
BettaHeart

hahahahahaha the last few posts

*i was going to get angry and rant too but * lmao

Last edited by BettaHeart; 01-11-2012 at 01:02 AM.
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:10 AM   #11577 
dramaqueen
Banned

People are afraid to discipline their kids for fear of it being called child abuse. I don't think it's wrong to give your kid an attitude adjustment every once in awhile.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:50 AM   #11578 
BettaHeart

Quote:
People are afraid to discipline their kids for fear of it being called child abuse. I don't think it's wrong to give your kid an attitude adjustment every once in awhile.

true and i would say something as well but since i am native i run a higher risk of being reported and having my children, who i had fought years for, taken away.
I have come across many parents who dont spend anytime with their children, that bond is essential to establishing positive behaviour, and also not many families nowadays dont live together as they once used to so the acceptable courteous behaviour amongst the generations is being lost.
And yes you can talk to a child and make them understand, it is a fine art to master when it comes to a five year old. Also being consistent with time-outs and giving the reason why helps.
Some of my cousins who are parents are great examples of said parents who let their children run-a-muck in public places, touching everything in sight, whining and crying loudly for things they want, which irritates the h*** out of me because i make sure my children on their best behaviour when we are out, and when i am with them and their children i feel so embarrassed because other people think the worst of my children.
In the years i have lived here I have always gotten praise for how well my children are behaving and how quiet they are despite how many there is and being under the age of 12, i would say 8 but my oldest daughter will be 12 this year lol.
I am the type to say something and mean it, they know that if they become overly loud and unruly in a restaurant then we will leave that very minute after i ask the hostess to get our orders to go, or in a grocery store and they witness another child acting up and try to behave the same way
i will tell them such behaviour is not only rude to the other shoppers but it causes them to lose out on ice cream or some other treat i had planned to purchase, it kills me to see the look on their faces but they have to know there are actions that are just plainly not tolerated by me.
Its funny but i have had alot of people tell me I am a great mother and it shows through the actions of my children, although i think i am far from such a title I had the great privilege of being raised by my grandparents on both sides of my family and i do think there are some things that are being lost, a child can have rights to love and safety but a firm tone of voice is needed on occasion.

Last edited by BettaHeart; 01-11-2012 at 02:57 AM.
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:12 AM   #11579 
Scruffy Nerfherder

Quote:
I don't think it's wrong to give your kid an attitude adjustment every once in awhile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC8xxpC_YJw

Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #11580 
Sakura8

Scruffy, I don't like kids either. Although, some days it's a tossup on whether I hate the kids or their lousy parents more. If I had a cane, I'd probably be using it to trip the kids that run around restaurants like wild dogs. Sit and eat, you brats! *whump* And then there are the parents, sitting texting or whatever on their cell phones while their kids just about knock over the server with the full pot of coffee. Sigh.

My cousin has a son who may be borderline autistic and she's really good with him. She corners him somewhere (he's always on the move) and kneels down to talk to him face to face instead of yelling and hollering. Her husband is the same way, doesn't yell and is very patient.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou