Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #21 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah, I'm amazed at how they managed to introduce such a variety of colour into wild splendens. When you look at how as a species, they first began, it's hard to think the two are even related.

I also took a couple of shots of my albi fry in the grow-out. They had a ball devouring hundreds of mossie larvae I found in our yard. Makes a nice change from blackworms I suppose. I will upload them in a second.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #22 
LittleBettaFish

Here is what albi fry look like. These guys are really small for their age because they had a bad bout of internal parasites and weren't getting enough food in the few weeks after being released. However, they are slowly growing now, though one in there is the size of a newborn betta fry and doesn't seem to be getting any bigger.

Also here is a picture of my Betta ideii pair. They are separated because they fight nonstop if put in together. I used to rotate them every week from the breeder's box to the tub, but the female freaks out badly in the tub so she lives in the breeder's box until I have space for another tank on my rack.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:02 AM   #23 
Myrtaceae

Adorable albi fry! So no chance I can badger you into starting a spawn log? I can't be the only one interested. Where do your fry go post-spawn? (lfs, aquabid?)

I'm itching for some more good reading. I've combed over SeriouslyFish and read most of the articles on IBC. Why are more people not keeping these guys? :/
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:25 AM   #24 
LittleBettaFish

Haha they aren't as interesting to watch as splendens fry. I have three lots of fry due (fingers crossed the males hold to term) so I should be able to have some more photos over the next couple of weeks.

So far I have successfully raised one fry (rutilan) to adulthood. He ate all his siblings once they left the nest and then I accidentally killed the remaining four survivors.

This lot will be going into my tanks. I'm hoping to get a pair to replace mum and dad. If I have surplus I will sell these on an Australian forum I'm a member on.

I guess a lot of people don't know about wild bettas, and they aren't as exciting or colourful as something like a tankful of guppies or danios. They are also not as common in a lot of places, so unless you go looking it can be hard to find them.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:35 AM   #25 
Myrtaceae

It certainly sounds like a learning experience! You have no idea how hard this made me laugh:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
(fingers crossed the males hold to term)
My mother is a CNM (a midwife), so I grew up hearing about pregnant women at the dinner table. The way you phrased that made me giggle.

I wish you the best of luck with them. Breeding seems to be one of those things where you read as much as you can, and still end up running into surprises when you do it yourself.

Note to more experience fish keepers: Please start keeping wild bettas so I can leech off your experience. Thanks. :D
Old 01-11-2012, 05:11 AM   #26 
LittleBettaFish

I feel bad for holding males. They don't get to eat for 2-3 weeks. One of mine spawned a day after releasing his fry so I don't know how that will go. I think the female just jumps him everytime she notices his mouth isn't full haha.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #27 
Myrtaceae

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I feel bad for holding males. They don't get to eat for 2-3 weeks. One of mine spawned a day after releasing his fry so I don't know how that will go. I think the female just jumps him everytime she notices his mouth isn't full haha.
lol! I've got a couple of off-color jokes I can make about that...I hope the poor guy is alright. I mean, part of me wants to give a "you go girl!" to the female, but the other part feels bad for the dude who doesn't get to eat. I get cranky if I skip lunch.

I can't get over how beautiful I find the strohis. I can't quite place why, but I think they are just gorgeous. I'm crossing my fingers for that dad!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #28 
LittleBettaFish

He is faded in that picture, but pre-spawning he is absolutely gorgeous. Really bright red opercular bars and a rich burgundy colour. I was not a fan at first, but they've really grown on me.

Poor dad had about a heart attack when I put some mozzie larvae in. I'm not sure if he wanted some or he thought they were his fry. Mum enjoyed them though.

I will separate the male channiodes once he has released his fry as I don't want him losing too much condition. He's only had three whole meals in three weeks. I have a male and female I'm going to chuck in there as well to spread things around a bit.