Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #1 
sarahharas

Floats to top

Hi Everyone,

I just got a new betta and have a quick question. I have him in a one gallon bowl with stones on the bottom and a live plant in the center. The problem is the fish keeps trying to swim to the bottom but seems to struggle and then just floats back to the surface. My other betta seems to swim around in my other tank effortlessly. Do you think it has something to do with the water quality or the shape of the bowl? I just feel bad for the little guy trying to get where he is going!!
sarahharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #2 
bettababy

It sounds as if your fish is struggling, but there could be a number of causes. How long was the water in the bowl before you added the fish? How deep is the bowl? What foods are you offering, and how often has the water been changed?
There is a preventive treatment I've found to be helpful with bettas in this condition. This treatment actually works for a number of various problems, and if he isn't "sick" it won't hurt him, only help to protect him from getting sick.
The 2 medications to get are methylene blue and fungus eliminator. Dose them into a bucket of water that has been standing for a few hours to achieve room temp. Dose according to instructions on each med.
Do a 100% water change using the medicated water, but lowering the water level so he isn't struggling to move around easily. You will be able to increase the water level as the fish gets better. Keep him well fed and warm (80 degrees or as close to it as you can get). Change 100% of the fish's bowl water every day, using the medicated water in the bucket. The water is good for 2 changes, then needs to be fresh with new meds dosed. Do this for 5 - 7 days.
This should do the trick for you, but if you notice any other symptoms, please let me know so we can adjust things if needed.
bettababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #3 
sarahharas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettababy
It sounds as if your fish is struggling, but there could be a number of causes. How long was the water in the bowl before you added the fish? How deep is the bowl? What foods are you offering, and how often has the water been changed?
There is a preventive treatment I've found to be helpful with bettas in this condition. This treatment actually works for a number of various problems, and if he isn't "sick" it won't hurt him, only help to protect him from getting sick.
The 2 medications to get are methylene blue and fungus eliminator. Dose them into a bucket of water that has been standing for a few hours to achieve room temp. Dose according to instructions on each med.
Do a 100% water change using the medicated water, but lowering the water level so he isn't struggling to move around easily. You will be able to increase the water level as the fish gets better. Keep him well fed and warm (80 degrees or as close to it as you can get). Change 100% of the fish's bowl water every day, using the medicated water in the bucket. The water is good for 2 changes, then needs to be fresh with new meds dosed. Do this for 5 - 7 days.
This should do the trick for you, but if you notice any other symptoms, please let me know so we can adjust things if needed.

Ok, well
*I've only had the fish for a day. It seems to be on the smaller side so it may be a baby?? Not sure. . .
*Before putting him in the bowl, the water had been sitting for about 24 hours.
*The bowl hold about a gallon of water and is 7" deep
* I feed my bettas Hirari BioGold pellets and every once in a while, blood worms
*I purchased something called "General Cure" anti-parasite medicine for my other fish. Will this work as a treatment? If not, I'll check out the names you mentioned.
*I'm going to do the same for my other betta as well as I've just noticed him getting white spots on his fins.
sarahharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:11 AM   #4 
bettababy

The treatment I suggested will not treat for parasites, but the chances that this is parasite related is slim.

The treatment I suggested is still what I would suggest, and yes, the other fish too... these 2 meds will take care of anything bacterial and fungal, which is what it sounds like is happening in both fish. Many fungal infections are the secondary infection, and the fungus feeds on the bacteria, which is usually the main problem. These 2 meds together will combat that... killing any bacterial issues, and then also attacking the fungal at the same time. This is a potent medication, but not harmful or harsh on the fish, which many other meds are.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:03 PM   #5 

Could it possibly be a problem with the Swim Bladder?
I don't know, but in Highschool disections, i remember learning about how the swim bladder helps them float/sink.

Correct me if i am wrong...
3863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #6 
bettababy

Nope, you are right, no correction needed. The reason I suggested those 2 medications is because most of the time with problems such as you've described, the actual problem is bacterial, fungal, or both... and these show up when it affects the swim bladder and prevents it from funtioning properly. The fungus eliminator has salt in it, which will treat the swim bladder, and at the same time has other contents to take care of any chance of a fungal problem. The methylene blue is meant for any bacterial infection, and usually if there is fungal, the fungus is feeding on the bacteria from a bacterial infection. The 2 meds I have suggested using then take care of the problem from every angle... it treats symptoms and the actual problem all at the same time.