Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #1 
ForbiddenSecrets

I need stocking help

I have a 29 gallon with four ghost shrimp, male betta, and three platy. They all exist really well together with almost 0 chasing ever (even the male platy to the girls lol) but as you can probably guess the tank looks a little under stocked. What do you think I should add?
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

If you have a male platy in there wil some ladies, you won't need to worry about adding extra fish, they'll do it for you. ;)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #3 
ForbiddenSecrets

The platys as well as the betta have proven to be expert child killers. XD Originally I had 3 females and a male. One female died during child birth [of which I only saved one baby from out of 6-8]. One was killed... by the other female. I was a little horrified at that since I thought if anything it would be the betta to bully her to death. I noticed too late to save her life. [This was in.... early November late October]

That left me with one female and one male with access to each other [with the baby girl isolated until very recently]. I was going to get more females to spread out the males sexual aggression but after the other platy died... there was peace in the tank. The male and female platy are always next to each other just hanging out and the betta couldn't care less about them. Recently they seem to have accepted the young girl into their little party. The shrimp... just do shrimp things. I've had the 4 of them for 4 months are so and they just mind their own business XD

So to be honest I'm actually wary of messing up this peace they seem to be having. However mum wanted a little more life in the tank.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #4 
JKfish

How much cover does your tank have, and is it cycled?

If it has a good ammount of cover (decor, plants, etc) and is properly cycled, then you might want to consider a school of fish. You could easily fit a school of 6 or more harlequine rasboras in there. They are very active (if just a little bit timid) and while they might not be as flashy as the other tetras, they do add a lot of life, and their rosy reddish color contrasted with the black mark is really nice :) If not the harlequine rasboras, then a school of cardinal tetras or neons would be good. I personally have no experience with either the cardinals or the neons but like most tetras they might get nippy if bored or if their schools are too small.

If you decide against the rasboras or tetras, then you could also fit in either a few more platies or a group or two of four or five cory cats. Cory cats are great and come in all different shapes, colors, and sizes, but in general they prefer to group in a same species group. They need cover as well, and you have to be careful with their barbles. If your gravel is too rough it could scrape and hurt their barbles. The cories would need sinking carnivore catfish tablets and maybe the occasional herbivore tablet for them to sample. :)

Last edited by JKfish; 01-11-2012 at 09:24 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #5 
ForbiddenSecrets

It's pretty well covered though I'm adding a bit more and its cycled.

The Harlequins are a thought. I'm dead against tetras for a very stupid personal reason ha ha though more the neons more then anything else.