Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #1 
MaineBetta

New Tank

My betta has developed fin rot, and is not doing well in his small 1gal tank, so I went out and bought a 6gal (http://www.petco.com/product/117228/...20Black-117228) tank to put him in. I bought a new bag of gravel, and will be boiling the gravel and decorations and stuff that are in his tank right now before putting them in the new one. I was planning on putting the two Amazon Swords in right off, will this be a problem? I plan on setting the tank up, and leaving it a day or so before putting him in it. Do you have any other ideas/tips on what I should do. Should I treat the water with new water with jungle fungus remover to try and get rid of the rot, or just leave him in the new water for a bit and see how he does. Any info would be great.

Thanks a lot, Jacob
MaineBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #2 
Zappity

There's no need to boil everything-a through rinse in hot water will do. The Amazon Swords will be fine, if you want, you can rinse them off in tap water before putting them in. For Fin Rot, I would just make sure is water is extra clean until it starts to clear up, usually that's all that's needed :) If it doesn't get better, I think most people use AQ salt. You'll have to ask someone more experienced about that.
Good Luck, that's one lucky betta with that awesome tank!
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #3 
MaineBetta

Got it all set up, and am just letting it sit for now. I have to put some more of the bacteria stuff in it today, then again tomorrow. I might try putting him in it tonight. Right now, the new water is not treated with anything for his fin rot or anything. I guess I will just wait it out and see how he does in the new tank before doing anything with that stuff again.

Any other tips?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #4 
MaineBetta

Have it filled right to the top with water now, but I am planning on dropping it an inch or so maybe to give enough room to breathe at the surface, since I don't think the 7" square at the top is adequate.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #5 
Zappity

Sounds good to me :) But, uh, maybe some pics? I love to see new tanks :D lol
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote