Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #31 
Bubblegum

That's a good question. We'll probably move again by then, so the space will determine the size a bit. I always sort of use 1000 gallons as a reference point because it is a nice big, round number and I have seen that as a recommended minimum for a koi pond.

A lot of the planning has to do with this idea i have to make a miniature fishing village on the edge of the pond. I am a sculptor with some experience with miniatures. Wakins grow to 18 inches. There is something completely hysterical to me about the idea of all these fishing boats tied up and the fish below the surface are larger than they are. Like something from a dream.

Last edited by Bubblegum; 01-09-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Bubblegum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #32 
thekoimaiden

That sounds absolutely magical. I really hope you are still a member of the forum when you complete it because I would love to see pictures. Your daughter is extremely lucky to grow up with that in her backyard.

1000 gal is a good point to aim for. My koi pond is about 4000 gal, but that's still on the small side for a koi pond. I've always thought that if I got a goldfish pond I'd make it about 500 gal. I think you can use the same stocking rules with wakin/other larger goldfish as you can with koi. I also had no clue wakin got to 18 inches. That's as large as some of my koi!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #33 
Bombalurina

I dislike it when people come over, see my sister's 10-inch comet (in it's too small tank) and go on about how big he is...grr. He's smaller than he should be, and if you people treated your goldfish properly, they'd be that size too!

(That was directed at the ignorant general public, not anyone on here.)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #34 
LittleBettaFish

Visitors do that all the time with my Shubunkin. I have to explain that he is actually only half the size he should be for his age.

When I managed a Subway store I thoroughly educated all my staff on fish, whether they liked it or not. I found the best way to explain how big goldfish (comets etc.) get was to illustrate using a footlong sub. A lot of people could not believe tiny pet store goldfish were supposed to grow that large.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #35 
thekoimaiden

You're right, LittleBetta. People don't seem to understand that many of the goldfish they buy in the pet store are only babies. They're usually under a few months old. You wouldn't look at a puppy or human baby and say "it's x inches right now, that means it can live in a 3' x 3' box the rest of it's life."

I love goldfish and find them absolutely gorgeous. I hate it when people look down on them because they've never seen how beautiful they can be when taken care of correctly.

Ohh! Ohh! You guys will love this. It's a Japanese artist who does 3D paintings of goldfish using resin. His work is stunning!!

Riusuke Fukahori Paints Three-Dimensional Goldfsh Embedded in Layers of Resin | Colossal
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #36 
Sena Hansler

Awesome!!! =D
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #37 
purplemuffin

That's incredible!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote