Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #1 
cataze

Question Cycling Question - High pH

Hi everyone!

It's the 7th day of my tank cycling. I've been testing my water everyday with my API Master Test Kit (liquid), and I noticed that my pH was high. So I checked my tap water, and the pH right out of the tap is 8.2.

Will this have any effect on my tank cycling? What about when I got to add my Betta...should I use pH Down, or is it better for me to leave it and the Betta will adjust?

Thanks!
Cate
cataze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #2 
Draug Isilme

What do the readings say in your tank? I noticed with my water, it comes out about 8.2 out of the tap, but once it sits for about a day or so (depending on if I'm testing water that's been sitting in a cup or in a gallon jug I've noticed it can vary), it goes down to 7... So you might want to see if the pH stays the same or lowers on its own before considering using something like pH Down. My water does that and what I do is I use gallon jugs and pre-treat the water and let them sit until my next water change (which is about a week). If anything, keep in mind bettas are pretty hardy- from what I remember, they can adjust and do just fine in a pH of 8.2, so it's nothing you should really worry about ^.^ Although, if I'm wrong, I would like for another member to correct me on this >.>;
I'm not really sure about pH Down, but from the vast majority of what I've come across- it's overall not the greatest of things to use in a tank. I believe what happens is it has the possibility of fluctuating in some way- and if it spikes or crashes too dramatically, it can kill your fish... Not quite something you should quote on me either, as I've never had that problem so I never really dug into it.... but hopefully I've recalled this information somewhat accurately, and I hope this helps you.

Last edited by Draug Isilme; 01-12-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Your pH is fine-it will not hurt the cycling process and Bettas will adapt to the source water pH without issue generally...its those sudden extreme changes that can sometimes cause problems.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #4 
cataze

Thank you so much! I would rather not use any extra chemicals in my tank, so this is exactly what I was hoping to hear!!!

Cate
cataze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Luckily bettas are darn hardy little things, willing to take 7-8 PH no problem... I've seen some in 8.5 and still be fine. I avoid "waste control" or "PH down" stuff unless there is absolutely no other way
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote