Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #31 
Sakura8

*pokes head in* I'm so jealous of all of you with koi ponds. Since I'll be rehoming my one and only koi baby in the spring, I'll soon be carpless. :( I don't know if I've told you this before, koimaiden, but your pond is so absolutely gorgeous that it could be featured in magazines.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #32 
Tappy4me

I love Koi. When I have a place of my own, I'd love to have a koi pond! I've really fallen in love with those long finned ones. (I don't know what they're called...I saw one in a pet store the other day. He and 3 other Koi were in a pond in the front of the store. He was solid white and just gorgeous!)
Tappy4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #33 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
How many goldfish would you suggest for understocking while still looking nice? Let's say I bought a filter made to filter up to 500 gallons. Even understocked, would it be better to get double filtration, like one that could filter up to 1000 gallons?

8) I'm asking you so many questions, I'm sorry!
No worries. I'll answer to the best of my abilities. One thing about stocking you'll want to keep in mind is water surface. If you're going to have a completely square tank then you will be limited in stocking. You could follow the koi stocking levels and go with about 500 gal for one fish, but I can understand not wanting to do that with just 600 gal pond. Maybe go with 100 gal per fish?

On the other hand you could try to get a breed of goldfish that stays smaller. Ryukins are known to be small, but I don't know hot they would handle the Dallas winter. I think shubunkins tend to stay smaller than commons and comets.

For the actual level of filtration, I don't think I can answer that. Filtration is something that I'm not even sure about with my filtration on my normal tanks. That might be a question for the pond club guys.

Aww, thanks, Sakura. ^-^ It really is my pride and joy.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #34 
purplemuffin

Thanks for the advice! :) I'm contacting the groups so I hope they'll give me even more information! I'll make sure everything is set in stone long before the pond build so there is no guesswork later!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #35 
Mavi

Koi maiden, I've swum in my pond before (hides guilty pleasure) :P and my measurements aren't exact at all because I just sort of hold the measuring tape up to them as they swim by :P

To the others, it may seem challenging to first get your koi pond up and running but it is sooooo worth it. It's my sanctuary. I wish my pond looked as natural and as part of a rainforest like the koi maiden's does :)
Mavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #36 
blueridge

Awesome koi you guys! I can't wait to get out and start my own tank for them.
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #37 
thekoimaiden

I would love to have a pond large enough to swim in!! That sounds soo amazing, Mavi. Have you tried snorkeling in it? I bet that would look magical!! My pond isn't large enough to swim in, but I have been in it. It comes up to my hips when I stand on the bottom. I'm about 5'1" to give you an idea of how deep it is.

I tried to make my pond look as natural as possible. Thanks, Mavi! Natural-looking ponds are my favorite. I still appreciate a modern design, too. I think yours gets has a nice balance. I actually had someone ask me if it was spring-fed. I guess that means I got the design right. ^-^

Oh ya. I forgot to mention, one of my koi, Byakko has a deformity of the mouth bones. I've never been able to actually determine what is wrong with her mouth. She eats in a different manner from the rest of the koi. She only eats out of one side of her mouth, the non-deformed one. I was really scared that I lost her the first winter she was in the pond, but she pulled through! My boyfriend also calls her Moo... Silly boyfriend. She is also the easiest to photograph, hence the below photo.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #38 
Mavi

Hmm, you can't see any deformity in the photo. That's cute though :) does she hand feed?

I've never snorkeled, it would probably be pretty cool though :)
I want to put some surface plants in to make it look more natural :)
Old 01-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #39 
thekoimaiden

I think the deformity is on the underside of her mouth. I haven't been able to get her to hand feed yet, but I really haven't worked on that. I would love to be able to do that this summer. I started to hand feed my goldfish this winter and have been having so much fun with it; I would love to be able to hand-feed my koi.

I found an underwater camera in my room the other week. When spring comes I'm going to try to snap some underwater pictures of my koi. I bet snorkeling would be something like that.

I tried lilies with my pond, but I didn't have enough sun. Water lettuce is another good alternative. It grows really fast and is great for zapping nitrates. I think it is one of the fastest growing plants in existence. Water hyacinth is another good floating plant. It makes a beautiful flower.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #40 
Mavi

I think I'll try water lettuce, I'm lacking sun in my backyard too.

I've been trying so hard to get them to hand feed! If I dangle my legs over my deck they will swim between them but they shy away from my hands for some reason.

Tags
koi, marble, pond