Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #111 
purplemuffin

I sort of like the idea because it could really change the fashion world if it takes off! Snake skin now as a renewable resource. Now snakes don't have to die to be on a purse or shoes or a belt, and...Well, fashion has more options than before. Unlike leather which can be pretty realistically faked, reptile skin..just looks plastic when people try to fake it! With the sheds looking as incredible as they do(and being as humane as they are!) it gives fashion designers even more freedom than before! Exotic and endangered snakes that were previously against the rules to be killed(with good reasons) can now have their beautiful patterns displayed. Morphs and their patterns(a bumblebee ball python for instance) now can be used as well. New colors, patterns, and the bragging rights to pull the 'green and humane' card? That's kind of cool! :D And I imagine with time and practice these will only look better and better.

Anyway, Chimichurri has eaten soo many crickets for us. :) He's such a little demon too! I think this little frog is going to settle in nicely!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #112 
NoahG

I think I'll have to check out their site a bit. Though, unfortunately, I have an older iPod Touch so there's a chance I still won't be able to get something even once those come out. Still neat to check out, though.

Also, just want to say, it's arguable as to how realistically leather can be faked, haha, but this? No doubt it's a very positive thing.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #113 
nel3

im not sure if you know about the pied morph crested gecko on pangea forums. it looks like sandshrew from the series pokemon.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #114 
purplemuffin

It does look cool! I hope it breeds true! :)
Old 01-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #115 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
It does look cool! I hope it breeds true! :)
sorry for the forum link but its about the pie bald gecko.
http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...-crested-(pics)

he's bred the gecko but seems that the offspring is normal as per morph atm.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #116 
purplemuffin

If it's a true pied, the babies will need to be bred back to the parent. Piebalds always seem to recessive rather than dominant! Guess it'll be a few years before we'll see if the grandbabies end up having the piebald look as well!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #117 
nel3

he got the gecko off another person, probably a breeder. he didnt say how much he paid for the gecko but the price apparently was quite high.

as per another gecko, mine has gained 2g to get to 9g. i fed him 5 crickets 3 days ago. i have 12 more crickets that'll last 2 week. i'll put 5-6 crickets on his plate for 1-2 days per week and the rest is CGD.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #118 
LyzzaRyzz

Link to my video of my baby African Clawed Frogs eating..=]

IMG_1769.MOV - YouTube

Wish it was better, but they are just so cute!
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #119 
nel3

do crickets require misting? i bought 17 crickets, i fed 5 of them. i cleaned their cage today to see a bunch dried up. only 6 remained, ive fed them betta flakes and some lettuce. i didnt provide any water source. i misted them just now and hope they'll last long enough to get to next tuesday.

they were in the tiniest possible KK and the room temp is 21c. i beleive some ate each other, there were a few spare legs around.

Last edited by nel3; 01-13-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #120 
NoahG

Watching YouTube videos reminded me: some friends and I had a baby snapper for a little bit that we had dragged up from the edge of the lake. So little at the time (liked to hide under a lily pad and stick his head up from under it), but after looking into them a little bit more we decided to let him go again.

...in their neighbor's pond...in the middle of the night...

Probably not the best decision we ever made.

ETA: I got distracted and forgot that I was going to mention that, from my experience, crickets do seem to need a good deal of moisture in their diets. Whether you offer it by way of the cricket water that some stores sell or a sponge or something. I managed to keep about four alive for several days switching out a carrot and a piece of spinach regularly, but I'm not sure that's quite enough long-term because three died before I could feed them to my bettas and the fourth died before I could get more crickets and feed them all to the bettas.

I'm thinking of trying a sponge next. My concern with misting would be the water pooling and the crickets drowning in that. I know they sell a cricket feed that's orange-colored cubes and is meant to be a complete diet -- it's moist, so you don't have to buy the cricket water as well.

Last edited by NoahG; 01-13-2012 at 10:01 PM.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote