Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #1 
BettaMommy531rip

Exclamation Whaaaaaat?

So I recently stopped by Fin and Feather, to take a peek at their bettas. I was disappointed by what I saw. They were in tiny vases with no lids. There was the most gorgeous pastel veiltail ever. But he was swimming eratically, on his side sort of, but not really. He was just a little tilted. He darted all around his small enclosure. Any ideas about what to treat him for/what meds to treat him with? I didn't buy him, but if I did I want to be able to give him proper meds. Please help.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #2 
JKfish

That sounds a bit to me like swim bladder disorder or perhaps a parasite of some type (maybe ich or gill flukes or something along those lines). With SBD bettas have difficulties floating and can't reach the air or they have difficulties sinking and look like an inflated beach ball that can't sink.

Honestly the easiest way to cure sbd is with epsom salt and clean warm water. The easiest way to treat parasites is with aquarium salt and clean warm water.

Maybe try to talk to one of the employees and suggest that they treat him for sbd?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #3 
BettaMommy531rip

I did. When I confronted the first employee they said there was nothing wrong, and that he was swimming like that because he was healthy. When I asked another employee the said try MelaFix. But I know better. So what's wrong?
Old 01-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #4 
callistra

Sometimes pet stores like to cram them in close to each other and they will be very aggigated because of seeing all the other fish. Otherwise, darting can be a sign of parasite infection so the kinda sbd symptoms coupled with this and the most likely thing if there is something wrong above and beyond needing some epsoms and fast time I'd say internal parasite is most likely.

Most of the time fish in pet stores are undernourished so SBD isn't so common.. I've never seen SBD out of fish in our pet stores but I see lots of emaciated little fishes. :( But it's not to say that epsoms and clean water is all that isn't needed here. I would start with that.

Totally in agreement of previous suggestions..
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #5 
BettaMommy531rip

I don't know. I loved that fishy, but I don't want to support their business. Also I am hoping to get 2 new veiltail guys from a breeder and then maybe a dragon girl from DarkMoon17. So I don't know if I can take him and pay for his meds while at the same time dealing with all these new fish I'm hoping for. I feel so conflicted. :'(

Tags
eratically, swimming