Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Kelvin is the color temp of the bulb and really important for good plant growth...the bulb should have it on it.....what we see and what the plant can see and use are 2 different things...

Watts should be on the bulb too

Photoperiod is how long you keep the lights on....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #12 
Kelly0727

Oh ok well what I have with King's aquarium is the clear light bulbs, 15w and I turn then on when I get up which is around 10-10:30am and turn them off around midnight..so a bit more than 10 hours..
Kelly0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #13 
Bambi

1. What type of plants have worked best for everyone? Live? Fake? Also kind of plants?
I use fake, large leafy ones that kinda half float, the parents and fry both love them. I attached some to some mesh i had left from dividing a tank i had and plan to add it to one of my smaller tanks once it drys <3

floating plants are nice too if you go the live plants route.

2. The sponge filters are a bit costly.. so I was wondering if anyone knew how to make one?
There are alot of tutorials on how to make one. it's basically sponge, air pump, air line tubing, adjuster valve and that's about it, i have a bubbler on the end of my tubing to weigh down the sponge...

My tubing/bubler/air pup and all that cost me less then $10 since i used the ones that came with a cheap 1 gallon tank. and the sponge i got is just a kitchen sponge(brand new) that i cleaned really well.

3. WHat type of things are used to make a good hide out spot for the female?
My leafy plants are great hiding and rest spots so i dont have anything els right now,i did have a clay pot cave in there but my male used it more then the female.

And last of all, for thoes who use live bbs, when do you start the hatchery? The day they spawn? A little sooner? How do you keep the extra bbs alive?

You can freeze the left over baby brine shrimp, otherwise they grow to big and use their egg sacks. I do know of some people who throw all their extra bbs and a larger tub and raise raise them to feed to their bigger fish. there are tutorials on youtube for this.

Also, you really do need a heater to keep them temp constant. the lights are fine for now, when you're not shutting them off because the dad need it to see the eggs, but that only last a couple days. Once you shut them off the temp will drop, turn them on it goes back up..these changes aren't good for the fry.
and yeah petsmart sells aquarium sponges.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #14 
Kelly0727

The main reason I am risking myself going to petsmart (risky because they still have their betta sale going on... *drools*)tomorrow is to get the plants and heater lol I just didnt have any questions about it so I didnt mention it. The lights are Kings tank, and I did a 24 hour watch checking every hour so thats why I knew HE was ok without the heater, although he will be getting one anyway because we are getting a cold front some time tomorrow night. (what my luck)

Bambi how do you clean the sponge really well? I mean.. do you do something special so you know its clean?

Also I've seen the youtube videos.. they just never mentioned around what time I should start it.. at least the ones I have seen. Although I am wondering, could I also use BBS to condition my pair? Mix up the diet a bit.. would be a very nice treat for them :)

I will have to see which options I have at the store.. I dont know if they will have their plants back yet, they had a bad case of angel hair algae which I now have too.. joy.. anyway they took down their planted tanks yesterday and was cleaning it, dont know how long it takes them to get more in. What about going a mixture of live and fake? Would that work?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #15 
Sena Hansler

Live and fake mix is awesome too. fry love it, the spawn pair love it... =D and yeah avoid black hair algae and other invasive junk that causes more trouble than good -.- I had to deal with black hair algae grrr
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #16 
Bambi

soak rinse with hot water and light bleach or vinigar like you would with most other things in your tank.
a mix of fake and live would be fine. ^^ You can get their number online and call, see if they have their plants back up or when they will get more.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:44 AM   #17 
Kelly0727

Black hair algae oddly sounds scarry.... I will probably be going with part live and part plastic plants. But the live ones may have to wait until they have more in stock lol. I just hope I dont get distracted by the other bettas there... lol
Old 01-13-2012, 01:47 AM   #18 
Sena Hansler

good luck with THAT hehe. If you do get more live plants, quarantine will be highly recommended to avoid anything getting to the pair, or the fry.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #19 
Kelly0727

Thanks I'll remember that! I would use the plants I had in king's tank but he wouldnt be happy about that and it has that angel hair algae anyway soo... not going to fish that unless by some merical you are going to tell me that fry love angel hair algae and likes to eat it lol!!