Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #1 
CarlG

Exclamation Weird Gill help!

Hi guys, I have been looking at the forums and so far nothing quite as what is happening to my poor Rocky.

So here's the story. I have had Rocky for about 1 year and 6 months or so. He's had a wonderful life so far and doing really well. Then about a week ago he had some constipation, I fasted him for 3 days added some Betta Revive (5 drops) and then started feeding him 2 pellets in the morning and 2 in the evening. He was completely fine and flaring and swimming normally. Today I looked at him and saw that he was swimming a little odd, so I took the flashlight and sure enough his right gill looked like there was something sticking out of it!! also it looks inflamed. I also noticed he has a white patch under his mouth, I have no idea what happened!!!

I took out 2 cups of water and added 2 new water and put in 3 drops of betta revive so far!

Please I need some help as he is very special to me!

Some info about tank and conditions, 1.77g tank with heater. changed 50% once a week and 100% every 2 weeks. I tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. All came back normal.

Thanks

Last edited by CarlG; 01-13-2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #2 
CarlG

Arrow

Just fed him 2 pellets and he ate them normally. He's not swimming weird or anything. he's acting normal apart from the gill thing!

Please help me cure my boy.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #3 
CarlG

Exclamation

Well I have decided to start treatment with the marcyn 2. Just calculated dosage and started him. Lets see what happens :(

No thoughts guys? Please I need input!! Thanks
Old 01-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #4 
Zappity

I wouldn't use Betta Revive, it has a tree-oil in it that causes their Labyrnith organ to not function properly.
Don't use any medications yet, it's safer to wait and know what the problem is than to start throwing all sorts of medicine in. I don't know what is wrong with his gill, but someone else should. For now, I'd give him a 100% water change, and wait until someone else comes around with some advise :)
Good luck, hope he gets better! :)
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #5 
aqua001

The white patch under Rocky's mouth might be a sign of him to the maturity stage. If he patch is sorta like salt crystal, it is most likely ick. Hope I helped!
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gills, inflammation