Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #41 
thekoimaiden

I forgot to mention that duckweed can be used as a floating plant, but it's so small and so prolific that it's almost impossible to get rid of once you introduce it. I have it in my betta tanks, but I don't think I'd put it in my pond.

I do the same thing. There is a nice flat rock that I sit on and dangle my feet in the water. My koi love to nibble at my toes. I often put my legs in the water when I feed them, but when my hands go in the water they scatter. When I'm working in the lower stream, pulling out weeds and stuff they will come over to investigate, but hands in the water near them. Nope. Always run away. I once remember reading that koi can be skittish in clear water as they are naturally a mucky-water fish. This could be part of the problem.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #42 
Zappity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Some people do water changes on a pond, some don't. You will have to make water changes if it is overstocked. However, if it isn't, large enough and planted enough you won't have to. I never do. But I do have an overflow outlet for when it rains. So I guess every time it rains my pond gets a water change. My pond has never smelled bad or anything. My guess that the reason your grandparent's pond smelled bad was due to a lack of water movement. Stagnate water always smells.

The deal with having a pond and being up north is that you have to know the depth to which your ground freezes and then dig the pond 1-2 feet deeper. This will enable you to overwinter the fish in the pond. Still, when you do want to build your pond, find someone in the area who specializes in ponds. Trust me, it was the best decision I ever made with my pond.

Have any of you guys browsed koi auction sites? They have beautiful fish, but they're sooo expensive. I've seen koi selling for over $2,000!!!

Also, would you rather buy a small koi and watch it grow or buy a large koi? I'm in a conundrum. All of my koi are 12 inches and larger. Koi of those size are $100+. As much as I love them, I can't afford to drop that much on a koi. But I'm worried that my larger koi would bully a small guy. Or that the small guy would be too shy to come out and starve to death (that happened to me before). Another option I have is just to not introduce anything new since I have a good thing going.
Ah, I see. Yeah..I don't think there were any filters in that thing..there was a waterfall, but sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.. -_-

yeah, I'd definitely have to dig it deep..it gets soo freaking cold here -_- snowing right now actually.

I did-once! I saw one that was even more than that! but it sure was purdy..

I'd get a baby and watch it grow :) I looove watching things grow :D like Mr.Bubbles was pretty small when I got him, now he's 2.5inches (give or take, he won't be still!)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavi View Post
Thekoimaiden- I had never heard the story of hanako before, but I read a fact somewhere that the oldest documented koi lived to be 246!
And if you were wondering, we do generally have to be careful because it does get quite cold and since we live right on lake Ontario the temperatures fluctuate even more!
Id also love to show you some pictures but I've never actually taken any, ill take some in the summer when my pond isn't covered :) ill show you my fishie friends :)
The reason I want more koi is because I want to watch them grow up :) so I would probably get some between 4 and 6 inches. Also that way I won't really know what they're colours will turn out to be it'll be a surprise :) it will also help with costs.
I've seen some koi auctions where fish have been sold for over 500 000!!!!!! I couldn't believe it!
As for larger bullying the small, I can't see that happening. Koi are such a peaceful fish (at least mine are) I can maybe seeing mine giving them the cold shoulder since they are all so buddy-buddy :P
Zappity- the key to cutting down on the maintenance you have to do is the long run is to not cut corners when building. My pond has four bottom filters and eight jets. Without them, nothing in my pond would live because it wouldn't be able to keep up with the maintenance. Filtration and aeration is everything.
Woah. Okay :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappy4me View Post
I love Koi. When I have a place of my own, I'd love to have a koi pond! I've really fallen in love with those long finned ones. (I don't know what they're called...I saw one in a pet store the other day. He and 3 other Koi were in a pond in the front of the store. He was solid white and just gorgeous!)
Ooh that sounds awesome :D
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #43 
Mavi

Duck weed icks me out a bit. It makes me think of green dirt :P

That's true, they do live in mud ponds in the wild after all! Maybe they have a predator in the mud ponds with longs finger-like things? I have no idea :P
Mavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #44 
Zappity

The Lochness Monster? >:D
Lol jk.
That's so cool you can hand feed koi! I'd probably freak if I let one touch my fingers xD I love my fish to death, but, I don't wanna touch them D:
Old 01-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #45 
Mavi

Haha, don't tell them that! :P
I think the texture of fish is beautiful :) it's smooth and cold, yet soft. When you touch them you can really tell how aware they are. It's so cool how they can swim within a millimeter of you. Fascinating!
Old 01-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #46 
thekoimaiden

I love hand-feeding my fish. I hand feed my koi all the time. I would hand feed my bettas but they bite. A lot. Hard. But I did get some other koi to eat from my hands. There is a koi/goldfish pond at my college. Whenever I felt homesick I would go sit my the pond and feed the koi. Eventually they recognized me. (I don't think they were fed regularly.) Eventually I got the largest koi, a big yellow ogon, to eat bits of bread from my fingers. ^-^ Only took 3 years...

I think fish feel awesome. Like snakes and lizards (not spiky ones, tho). I just worry when I touch fish because I know that the oils on my hands damage their slime coats. So I try my best not to ever touch my fish. I'd rather have and handle a snake.

Reminds me of a funny story when I was building my pond. Ever heard of a worm snake? Neither had I until I dug one up when digging my pond. I thought it was a large earthworm. I snagged up the little guy and plopped him in some dirt. I asked my biology teacher (who is also president of my state herpetology society), and he informed me it was an eastern worm snake! (It has picture for those who don't like snakes.) I kept him in a kritter keeper for about a week, but he died. :( I must have injured him by accident. I felt so bad. But on the other hand, I found my favorite species of snake!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #47 
Mavi

You might have hit him with your shovel.

There slime coats are. Something im conscious of. I have a "no sunscreen" policy around and in the pond. Especially when feeding, if it's on your hands and they ingest some? Yikes!
Old 01-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #48 
Zappity

Quote:
Haha, don't tell them that! :P
I think the texture of fish is beautiful :) it's smooth and cold, yet soft. When you touch them you can really tell how aware they are. It's so cool how they can swim within a millimeter of you. Fascinating!
Hmm...maybe I would touch one..I'd probably scream, but it'd be cool..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I love hand-feeding my fish. I hand feed my koi all the time. I would hand feed my bettas but they bite. A lot. Hard. But I did get some other koi to eat from my hands. There is a koi/goldfish pond at my college. Whenever I felt homesick I would go sit my the pond and feed the koi. Eventually they recognized me. (I don't think they were fed regularly.) Eventually I got the largest koi, a big yellow ogon, to eat bits of bread from my fingers. ^-^ Only took 3 years...

I think fish feel awesome. Like snakes and lizards (not spiky ones, tho). I just worry when I touch fish because I know that the oils on my hands damage their slime coats. So I try my best not to ever touch my fish. I'd rather have and handle a snake.

Reminds me of a funny story when I was building my pond. Ever heard of a worm snake? Neither had I until I dug one up when digging my pond. I thought it was a large earthworm. I snagged up the little guy and plopped him in some dirt. I asked my biology teacher (who is also president of my state herpetology society), and he informed me it was an eastern worm snake! (It has picture for those who don't like snakes.) I kept him in a kritter keeper for about a week, but he died. :( I must have injured him by accident. I felt so bad. But on the other hand, I found my favorite species of snake!
That's cool they let you hand feed them :) Yeah..I'm not going to try and get Mr. Bubbles to eat food from my hand xD If he bit me..I would probably scream so loud you could hear me. xD

Oi, better not show my Grandma that. If she knew a snake looked like a worm (her two biggest fears are snakes and worms) she would probably start crying. xD

Quote:

There slime coats are. Something im conscious of. I have a "no sunscreen" policy around and in the pond. Especially when feeding, if it's on your hands and they ingest some? Yikes!
Yeah, I'd be worried about that too. Oh God, that would NOT be good!

What are you guy's favorite colored Koi? I know there's a lot of different ones.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #49 
thekoimaiden

Quote:

Good rule. I've got a no-anything on hands near pond. Heck I barely even let anyone else touch my pond water aside from me. I have a pair of boots that I use solely for the pond so as to insure no cross-contamination from the surrounding streams.

I'm afraid that I did hit the little guy with a shovel. At least I made his last days better. He probably would have been eaten alive if I let him go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappity View Post
-snip-
That's cool they let you hand feed them :) Yeah..I'm not going to try and get Mr. Bubbles to eat food from my hand xD If he bit me..I would probably scream so loud you could hear me. xD

Oi, better not show my Grandma that. If she knew a snake looked like a worm (her two biggest fears are snakes and worms) she would probably start crying. xD
I love hand-feeding my fish. I think it makes for the best bonding activity you can do with a fish.

Oh wow. Better not even tell your grandmother about that snake. I think I would like to have one as a pet, tho. They're sooo cute ^-^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappity View Post
What are you guy's favorite colored Koi? I know there's a lot of different ones.
That is a truly hard question. There is something noble about the kohaku; it really does have a nice, traditional allure. Tanchos are also really striking. But I'd have to say my favorites are the bekko and the utsuri. Matsuba is a close second, tho.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #50 
Bombalurina

I am so jealous of you guys. I would love a koi pond one day, but setting up a pond is so expensive. :(
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koi, marble, pond