Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #11 
styggian

I think that counts toward the stunted, ill, and die part of my point. It is bad for the fish, full stop. The minor technicalities doesn't change that fact.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #12 
Mavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by styggian View Post
No fish "grows to the size of its tank." This is a myth. The fish become stunted and ill and die prematurely. A pleco will grow to two feet, and can outgrow a small tank very quickly.

As for goldfish, they have a lifespan of 20-30 years (and I've heard of Koi carp living much longer.) Goldfish forced to live and become stunted in little bowls or small tanks die within a couple years more often than not, at only a fraction of their normal lifespan.
I know sorry that was my bad :P I actually know quite a bit about goldfish and koi, I miss spoke :P, I was talking about stunted growth and was asking because maybe her plecos were getting stunted by the tank they were in :P
Mavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #13 
bluesushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavi View Post
How big do plecos grow to be? I've heard different things about growing based on the size of their tank (like a goldfish) vs. growing without abandon.
My family had a pleco that lived for about 8 years. When we got it at the pet store, we were told that it wouldn't grow much larger (it was under two inches). If I recall correctly, it ended up growing to be about 6-7 inches in a 30G-ish tank. Knowing this, I wouldn't buy another one unless I had a lot more space. They are kind of boring and poop a lot. They do, however, seem to live a long time...

Last edited by bluesushi; 01-14-2012 at 07:49 PM.
bluesushi is offline   Reply With Quote