Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #1 
Magikarp

White particles in 10 gallon aquarium

Hey everyone, I currently have a 10 gallon tank with one young female betta in it. I looked in the tank today and saw a bunch of white particles in the water. You know, if you were to at light coming in from a window into a dusty room, that same look. My betta doesnt seem to be bothered by it at all, but i was wondering if this could affect my betta's gills and breathing? I have a filter (the ones that hang off the tank) and it has been wrapped with one layer of pantyhose and it does seem to get clogged with a bunch of white stuff sometimes. What are these white particles? How do i get rid of them?
Magikarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Hmm. Do the white particles look like they are moving? It could be planaria. Otherwise . . . hmm. Do you think you could get a pic of these particles? I know, probably kind of hard to do. But if you can, that would help.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:08 AM   #3 
Draug Isilme

I have white particles in my tank as well- I've noticed they're moving and are definitely alive..... I'm honestly not sure what they are, but overall, it's never harmed my fish and therefore, I'm lead to believe that they're daphnia, or water fleas. Maybe your tank has some daphnia? There are other kinds of white things that it could be, some that can actually harm your fish so you definitely want to keep an eye on your fish's health... I wish I could offer help on how to get rid of them, but I haven't come across anything of the sort.. -.- sorry
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Could be a small bacterial bloom. Tanks always have some degree of bacteria in them, so maybe that's what you're seeing? If the particles aren't big enough to be planaria, that would be my guess.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote