Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #51 
Zappity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Good rule. I've got a no-anything on hands near pond. Heck I barely even let anyone else touch my pond water aside from me. I have a pair of boots that I use solely for the pond so as to insure no cross-contamination from the surrounding streams.

I'm afraid that I did hit the little guy with a shovel. At least I made his last days better. He probably would have been eaten alive if I let him go.

I love hand-feeding my fish. I think it makes for the best bonding activity you can do with a fish.

Oh wow. Better not even tell your grandmother about that snake. I think I would like to have one as a pet, tho. They're sooo cute ^-^

That is a truly hard question. There is something noble about the kohaku; it really does have a nice, traditional allure. Tanchos are also really striking. But I'd have to say my favorites are the bekko and the utsuri. Matsuba is a close second, tho.

I'd probably be paranoid about anyone even walking by my pond xD I'd have a TON of no sunscreen or lotion rules xD

Cool :) Those are all really pretty! I can't decide..but my fave would prob be the Utsuri Mono, then the Showa, and then the Goshiki or Asagi.
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #52 
Mavi

I'm a stickler for the more common Sanke and Showa koi. Especially the tancho sanke.
I like the utsuri and bekko too.
I also like the ai goromo, because you can get some really interesting burgundies.
Mavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #53 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I am so jealous of you guys. I would love a koi pond one day, but setting up a pond is so expensive. :(
It was crazy expensive. Like buying a car expensive. It's really a project best delayed until you have a strong financial base. I know I'll have to delay my second pond until I'm in my 40's (depending on what kinds of jobs I can land and where I'm living).

I also like ginrin koi. The shiny scaled ones. They really spice up the monocolor koi. I would love to have a ginrin chagoi. Maybe even a ginrin yellow or orange ogon.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #54 
diablo13

.....good or bad car? :D I love koi, but it's my dads house, and he doesn't want one. And we have a dog. And there are a couple of herons and boatloads of foxes.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #55 
Bombalurina

Quote:
It was crazy expensive. Like buying a car expensive. It's really a project best delayed until you have a strong financial base. I know I'll have to delay my second pond until I'm in my 40's (depending on what kinds of jobs I can land and where I'm living).

I also like ginrin koi. The shiny scaled ones. They really spice up the monocolor koi. I would love to have a ginrin chagoi. Maybe even a ginrin yellow or orange ogon.
I'll take the pond. I can always use public transport. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #56 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo13 View Post
.....good or bad car? :D I love koi, but it's my dads house, and he doesn't want one. And we have a dog. And there are a couple of herons and boatloads of foxes.
A decent used car. Some ponds cost as much as new car. Some koi cost more than a Mercedes!

I've got two dogs, but they're both well trained. They know the pond is off limits. I've also seen a few neighborhood cats come poking around, but some of my koi are as large a house-cat. Herons and fox can be a bit of a problem, but if you build your pond under plenty of canopy cover herons won't come around. The dogs also do a good job of keeping fox, raccoon, and mink from coming around. Otters would be a problem, but they aren't found where I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I'll take the pond. I can always use public transport. :p
lol! I did the same thing. I got a pond instead of a car for my high school graduation. Now if only the rail system were better in the US...
Old 01-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #57 
Zappity

Quote:
A decent used car. Some ponds cost as much as new car. Some koi cost more than a Mercedes!

I've got two dogs, but they're both well trained. They know the pond is off limits. I've also seen a few neighborhood cats come poking around, but some of my koi are as large a house-cat. Herons and fox can be a bit of a problem, but if you build your pond under plenty of canopy cover herons won't come around. The dogs also do a good job of keeping fox, raccoon, and mink from coming around. Otters would be a problem, but they aren't found where I am.

lol! I did the same thing. I got a pond instead of a car for my high school graduation. Now if only the rail system were better in the US...
Oh my God, it takes that much to build a pond?! O_O yeah...I won't be getting a pond for at least 20 years xP
I have two Chihuahuas, but they're seniors and don't wanna go outside much anymore. c:
Are Herons bad for a pond? Cause I've seen them flying by my house before in the spring and in the fall. Raccoons are always lurking around..we had a family in our roof last year and the year before, we found 6 babies around our yard and in our car. >_< Foxes and Opossums, hawks and owls are also around...and the stray cats are always lurking.
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #58 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappity View Post
Oh my God, it takes that much to build a pond?! O_O yeah...I won't be getting a pond for at least 20 years xP
I have two Chihuahuas, but they're seniors and don't wanna go outside much anymore. c:
Are Herons bad for a pond? Cause I've seen them flying by my house before in the spring and in the fall. Raccoons are always lurking around..we had a family in our roof last year and the year before, we found 6 babies around our yard and in our car. >_< Foxes and Opossums, hawks and owls are also around...and the stray cats are always lurking.
The next pond design that I'm planning is going to expensive and cover about an acre total (water surface won't be that big, but the stream and waterfall and pond combined is going to be huge!). So it will be really really expensive. The 4000 gal installation I have was about high-schooler-used-car quality expensive. It will be cheaper if you do it yourself, but it won't look as nice or function as well.

Herons can cause a problem as they will try to pick up your koi. They can succeed with the smaller fish, but often times they will just stab the older, larger koi, realize they can't pick it up, and leave it to die. Owls are probably not as much of a menace because koi sleep at the bottom of a pond. Foxes can also try to steal a fish and so will raccoons. I have two black labs, so they do a pretty good job of keeping everything away. Also not having sloped sides helps keep critters out.

I did encounter a man whose koi were being eaten by otter and minks when I lived in the mountains. But his pond was more like a fishing pond that he added a few koi to instead of a koi pond. He had some grass carp in it that were literally half my size or larger (I'm about 5ft tall). The guys were joking that "they were going to measure the grass carp in terms of Izzy. Like 'oh I caught a fish that was 1.5 Izzys!'"
Old 01-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #59 
Mavi

Diablo13, dogs are actually generally a positive things to have around ponds because they will peein your backyard and mark their territory which will actually protect your fish from potential predators.
Mavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #60 
purplemuffin

http://koi-pearl.com/EN/index.php# Woah, this thing is crazy! It floats and water goes up into the 'pearl' and allows the fish to swim up into it safely and get back out safely. Kinda neat! Weird, but neat!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koi, marble, pond