Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #1 
ILoveSushi

Question Female Betta Ate My Glofish!!!

Ok, I have a 10 gallon glass tank, with heater (set to 75 degrees) & a low flow filter. My ph & nit. levels are all normal.

I currently have 2 female bettas, 2 mystery snails, 1 ghost shrimp & (had) 4 Glofish. This morning when I turned my low light on, there was the body of one of my Glofish floating in the tank. Let me be clear, it wasn't just dead, it was missing its tail fin & head!!!! While I was watching the body floating in disbelief one of the female bettas swam up & nipped at the body dragging it down to the bottom of the tank!!! Needless to say I was freaking out!!! I have had them all together for over 4 months & never had any issues wih them.

Does anyone have ANY idea what could have made them turn on each other?

Btw I have several areas for each set of fish to hide in, caves, plants, ect...
ILoveSushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

I'd suggest it could have something to do with the fact that you have two female bettas in there. Normally two bettas don't get along - you need stable groups of four or more to balance things out. It could be that they go angry and took it out on the glofish.
It could also be that glofish, which are nippy when not kept in schools of 6 or more, especially in smaller tanks (they do much better in 2ft tanks, where they have lots of room for all that danio energy), tried to nibble a betta and got attacked in turn.
A third, and equally likely scenario, is that one of the betta's just decided to prove that bettas are crazy, unpredictable things and went on a killing spree.
Given that you have a ghost shrimp and two carnivores in there, it's also possible the glofish died of something unrelated and got eaten by his tankmates. When I lose a fish, if I don't find the body within 12 hours, I will never see it again because my cories, shrimp and betta girls will destroy the evidence.

You do have a risky set-up there, and sadly that does result in deaths sometimes. :(
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #3 
ILoveSushi

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I'd suggest it could have something to do with the fact that you have two female bettas in there. Normally two bettas don't get along - you need stable groups of four or more to balance things out. It could be that they go angry and took it out on the glofish.
It could also be that glofish, which are nippy when not kept in schools of 6 or more, especially in smaller tanks (they do much better in 2ft tanks, where they have lots of room for all that danio energy), tried to nibble a betta and got attacked in turn.
A third, and equally likely scenario, is that one of the betta's just decided to prove that bettas are crazy, unpredictable things and went on a killing spree.
Given that you have a ghost shrimp and two carnivores in there, it's also possible the glofish died of something unrelated and got eaten by his tankmates. When I lose a fish, if I don't find the body within 12 hours, I will never see it again because my cories, shrimp and betta girls will destroy the evidence.

You do have a risky set-up there, and sadly that does result in deaths sometimes. :(
Thank you for the quick response!!! I have taken the two females out & put them in my 5gallon tank by themselves until I can make sure everyone is ok. Since you said the Glofish don't like to be in small numbers do you think I should transfer them to a 10 gallon with some neon tetras? I have an established tank with 6 neon tetras I could place them in. What do you suggest to make it less risky?
Old 01-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #4 
kfryman

Two female bettas should NEVER be housed together, you NEED 4 or more, if you add more you cannot add any other fish. Putting the bettas in the 5g together will limit space and ultimately obe will most likely die. You either need to start a sorority or divide the 10g tank for them maybe obe more or buy another tank and house them separate from each other.
Don't take the caps the wrong way it is kinda there to show you that it isn't recommended, but rather the truth. How big of a tank are the tetras in?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #5 
ILoveSushi

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Two female bettas should NEVER be housed together, you NEED 4 or more, if you add more you cannot add any other fish. Putting the bettas in the 5g together will limit space and ultimately obe will most likely die. You either need to start a sorority or divide the 10g tank for them maybe obe more or buy another tank and house them separate from each other.
Don't take the caps the wrong way it is kinda there to show you that it isn't recommended, but rather the truth. How big of a tank are the tetras in?
I understand what you're saying. I guess I will just take the two females out, seperate them in two 5 gallon tanks & then purchase some more Glofish for the 10 gallon tank so they can stay by themselves. The neon tetras tank is a 10 gallon too.
Thank you again for the advice, it really is much appreciated!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Thanks for taking our advice without offence. :) Your plan of separate tanks is a sound one and will make all your fish happy. :) If you have room for a twenty gallon, you could have a lovely setup with 8 neons and 8 glofish - that would be so colourful!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #7 
ILoveSushi

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Thanks for taking our advice without offence. :) Your plan of separate tanks is a sound one and will make all your fish happy. :) If you have room for a twenty gallon, you could have a lovely setup with 8 neons and 8 glofish - that would be so colourful!
I was actually thinking of trading the 3 10 gallons I have in for a 20 gallon & 1 10 gallon, so I can keep the two bettas together in the 10 gallon & make the 20 gallon a black light tank with just tetras & Glofish!!!

I come to this forum for sound advice from people who know what their are talking about. I'm not going to argue with a person who has had fish or years!!! Thank you again for all the advice!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 03:36 AM   #8 
GreenTea

Yeah check craigslist for cheap 20 gallons. Thanks for taking advice, so many people get cranky about it. I hope you have no more deaths! Glofish are so neat. Did you know they were the first GMO created?
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #9 
ILoveSushi

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
Yeah check craigslist for cheap 20 gallons. Thanks for taking advice, so many people get cranky about it. I hope you have no more deaths! Glofish are so neat. Did you know they were the first GMO created?
I will check Craiglist then! Thank you! I don't understand why people get upset when their questions get answered... Isn't that what they come here for? *scratches head confused*

No more deaths as of today, did a 25% water change yesterday just in case there was something else that killed the Glofish (never know, right?).

I LOVE Glofish (not as much as my bettas), they add so much color to tanks! No, I didn't know they were the first GMO created. That's awesome!

I do have another question but it's about my tetras, should I ask here or start a new thread somewhere else?
Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #10 
GreenTea

I'd ask here first :) You can also do a forum search in the forum search bar and restrict it to say... the compatibility section of the forum or whatever you'd like.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote