Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2008, 01:27 PM   #1 
peixinho

Puzzled! Can't figure out what's wrong with my Betta!

I've had my Betta for a little more than 2 years, and for all that time he's been very active and healthy. My care has been always the same, changing his water (spring water) once every 2 weeks. Ocasionaly I used tap water, and in that case I used "bowl buddies" (water conditioner pills). The temperature has been always controled, specially during winter time when I set up for around 70F. His gallon bowl includes blue glass rocks and a lava cave (he had a little live plant once, which seemed to maintain the water clean for longer).
For two weeks I've been trying to figure out what's wrong with him. He's been eating well still, but he's very unactive, laying almost sideways at the bottom of his cave only coming up for air and food, doing so also in a sideway swim. :(
I can't seem to find anything visually wrong with him. His tail and fins seem fine, although his eyes sometimes are only half open (not always).
I've been feeding him half of his daily intake (2 pellots a day) because I read it could be swim bladder disease. I've alwyas been carefull with his diet, but have to admit I would feed his 4 pellots all together in one meal. Maybe that was the root of the problem. Just a guess, anyways.
Am I treating him for the wrong disesase? What else could be wrong with him? And howelse could I help him improve?
Thanks in advance.
peixinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #2 
Cody

Re: Puzzled! Can't figure out what's wrong with my Betta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peixinho
I've had my Betta for a little more than 2 years, and for all that time he's been very active and healthy. My care has been always the same, changing his water (spring water) once every 2 weeks. Ocasionaly I used tap water, and in that case I used "bowl buddies" (water conditioner pills). The temperature has been always controled, specially during winter time when I set up for around 70F. His gallon bowl includes blue glass rocks and a lava cave (he had a little live plant once, which seemed to maintain the water clean for longer).
For two weeks I've been trying to figure out what's wrong with him. He's been eating well still, but he's very unactive, laying almost sideways at the bottom of his cave only coming up for air and food, doing so also in a sideway swim. :(
I can't seem to find anything visually wrong with him. His tail and fins seem fine, although his eyes sometimes are only half open (not always).
I've been feeding him half of his daily intake (2 pellots a day) because I read it could be swim bladder disease. I've alwyas been carefull with his diet, but have to admit I would feed his 4 pellots all together in one meal. Maybe that was the root of the problem. Just a guess, anyways.
Am I treating him for the wrong disesase? What else could be wrong with him? And howelse could I help him improve?
Thanks in advance.
Could you tell us your water params, and the size of the bowl?

You said you keep the temp at around 70degrees. For a betta, this is too low. Bettas need higher temperatures in the high 70's (76 is the lowest). Bettas becaome very lethargic if they have cold water.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:30 PM   #3 
peixinho

water params and bowl size...

Well, perhaps I'm not being responsible enough with my poor little fish, because I'm ignorant of his water bowl params. Sorry I don't have that answer.
As far as his bowl, it's round and 1 gallon fills 3/4 of it.
I did raise the water temperature just a bit...checking on him often. I'm always scared that the water's temp will raise more than it should and end up having him fried (I had difficult finding a small heater that I can set an exact temperature. Mine I just turn the dial and watch the termometer).
Old 01-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #4 
Cody

Re: water params and bowl size...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peixinho
Well, perhaps I'm not being responsible enough with my poor little fish, because I'm ignorant of his water bowl params. Sorry I don't have that answer.
As far as his bowl, it's round and 1 gallon fills 3/4 of it.
I did raise the water temperature just a bit...checking on him often. I'm always scared that the water's temp will raise more than it should and end up having him fried (I had difficult finding a small heater that I can set an exact temperature. Mine I just turn the dial and watch the termometer).
Eh, same here. I found the right temp for it, though. :)

I doubt you would fry your betta. They like warmer water better than cold.

So, how is he doing now?
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:34 PM   #5 
peixinho

Well, I guess I shouldn't be afraid to turn the heater up!
So, if you touch the water of your aquarium, does it feel warm to the touch? I guess the answer is relative depending on how the room temperature feels to us.
But to answer your question, he seems to react to the higher temperature by swimming more gracefully and lively...
...thanks!
I'll come back if improvement isn't consistent (but will remain optimistic that we reached the end of this episode). :D
Thanks once again!