Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #11 
faronem

If it's a brand new tank, and it was a light milky white haze, it ought to clear up in a day or two if it was an initial bacterial bloom. I just saw the same thing in a 20 gallon tank.

Once the nitrogen cycle is fully established, 25% water changes weekly would likely be adequate, but water changes too early on can cause problems if the cycle isn't established.
faronem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello Bubblegum and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #13 
Bubblegum

The water is clearing up.

I think I'm having a lot of typical noob anxiety (more than usual since it's my daughter's fish.)

Bubblegum 'rests' a lot more than fish I'm used to, which is disconcerting. His fins are also dropping most of the time, but I realize it's the normal state of things and that they're probably pretty agitated in the LPS sitting in cups surrounded by other bettas.

My daughter saw him blowing bubbles the other day which I take as a good sign that he is becoming increasingly comfortable in his new home. I think the current of the filter probably broke the nest up by the time I went to look for it.
Bubblegum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #14 
Bubblegum

One more silly question: Most times he is swimming at an angle, pointing slightly upwards. Normal?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #15 
Sena Hansler

hehe it's normal to worry
The fins, are the usual droopy fins of veil tail (most common) betta. Some bettas also tend to "rest" because they are tired, lazy, etc I've had a lazy betta o_O If the temperature of the water is lower than 77, try raising it (you have a heater right?) if you can to maybe 78.

Not a silly question only silly question, is a question unasked. It is normal for him to swim that way, when there is a filter on. Seeing my Dally who has no filter swim, vs Shadow who has a filter, Shadow tends to tip his nose up a little, and even swims forward with little spurts (though the filter is on low).
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #16 
Bubblegum

I need a filter baffle! I just learned about this. Making one overnight and installing it when my daughter wakes up in the morning.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #17 
morla

Hi! Welcome to the forum! I hope you like it here!
morla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...so happy you found us and became a member of our neat little community......

Look forward to hearing about you Betta keeping adventures......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #19 
Bubblegum

So far, so good.

I wasn't sure how soon was too soon to change the water. I gave it a 25% change yesterday.

Bubblegum seems a lot happier since i installed the filter baffle. I think a lot of that 'resting' was actually him seeking refuge from the current in the tank. He seems to move around a lot more.